Forums > Model Colloquy > Why do short models insist of doin Runway?

Model

Pumpkin PinUp

Valencia, Valencia, Spain

Jennika Darling wrote:
want firm, toned with small curves. so, i guess high fashion is different.

Why small curves may I ask?

And I agree with Megan Mariee, you call fashion models gangly and let's see what they call you.

Be nice!

Jun 23 07 03:52 pm Link

Model

Pumpkin PinUp

Valencia, Valencia, Spain

42?

Jun 23 07 03:53 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Sandra Valero wrote:

Why small curves may I ask?

And I agree with Megan Mariee, you call fashion models gangly and let's see what they call you.

Be nice!

Oh, if they did, the fun would really start...lol

Jun 23 07 05:08 pm Link

Model

Kemmie T x10

Atlanta, Georgia, US

SLE Photography wrote:

We're not talking about Hobbits
We're talking about Haubbits
It's a term UdoR coined to describe short models who insist on holding on to the delusion that they will "CHNAGE TEH WORLDZ OMGWTFBBQ!!!111eleventy-one!" and "storm the runways for all short women!"
Note that the term isn't a derogatory reference to all short models, just a reality slap for the delusional ones.
For more discussion see this thread: https://www.modelmayhem.com/p.php?thread_id=153362

BTW, calling people "dumbass" is against the rules.

Ha ha! Expecially if ure really not a dumbass!

Jun 24 07 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

Maycuplover wrote:

Because lame designers ALLOW it... If they didn't allow it then they would get the picture!

have you worked for any of those lame designers

Jul 01 07 01:17 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Because some of us live in little markets full of hobbyists that have some runway opportunities for shorties.

Of course, not much of it is PAID (or if it is, it's usually not in cash money), but still-- it can be fun.

I'm glad my designer friends are "lame".  Heh.

Jul 03 07 01:53 am Link

Model

SWEETFACELA

Los Angeles, California, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
Because some of us live in little markets full of hobbyists that have some runway opportunities for shorties.

Of course, not much of it is PAID (or if it is, it's usually not in cash money), but still-- it can be fun.

I'm glad my designer friends are "lame".  Heh.

They're just talking about High Fashion

Jul 03 07 01:55 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I always assume they're taking about runway in general when they don't specify... 'cause that's what it sounds like...

Jul 03 07 03:06 pm Link

Model

Krysta Gabrielle

Hilo, Hawaii, US

SWEETFACE SHOTS wrote:
Why do people complain about someone elses dreams?

Why did you choose that lady for your avatar?

I totally understand what you mean.  I don't understand why he cares. You aren't an agent are you? Get over it. You're a photographer. It shouldn't concern you!

Jul 18 07 09:01 pm Link

Model

Krysta Gabrielle

Hilo, Hawaii, US

SWEETFACELA wrote:

They're just talking about High Fashion

No, I don't have much chance of being a mainstream runway model in paris or Milan, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to do runway altogether.

Jul 18 07 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Bowlin

Tucson, Arizona, US

Imajin Studios wrote:
Why do models who are short for High fashion runway (below 5'9") keep insisting they want to do runway work?

I have no idea, but I prefer all model models below 5'9" ... to me, 5'4" is perfection!

Jul 18 07 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

Jeff Bowlin wrote:

I have no idea, but I prefer all model models below 5'9" ... to me, 5'4" is perfection!

yeah i can only imagine, makes its easy if you don't have a full frame camera

Sep 30 07 04:48 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Weavetastic

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

This is such a stupid fucking thread.

Sep 30 07 04:50 pm Link

Model

Megan Mariee

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jeff Bowlin wrote:

sad

Sep 30 07 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Weavetastic  wrote:

*pokes her* LOL!

Sep 30 07 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Weavetastic  wrote:

SWEETFACE SHOTS wrote:
*pokes her* LOL!

With a needle perchance?

bt

Sep 30 07 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

Wow, this thread hasn't been deleted yet? smile  What a waste.

Sep 30 07 05:28 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Dave the design student

Detroit, Michigan, US

Imajin Studios wrote:
Why do models who are short for High fashion runway (below 5'9") keep insisting they want to do runway work?

Because Kate Moss can do it!

What was the question? big_smile

Sep 30 07 05:29 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Dave the design student

Detroit, Michigan, US

Weavetastic  wrote:

You're on post 63, you need to read around... lol

It's all in good fun.

Sep 30 07 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

didn't see any shorties on the VS runway show last nite

Nov 16 07 04:42 pm Link

Model

Jaclynn

Taipei City, Taipei City, Taiwan

I love doing runway, but yes, I KNOW that there is no way in hell I'll ever do pro NYC runway shows for top designers at my height of 5'7". That doesn't stop me from being approached to do PAID runway shows here in Hawai'i for some amazing, and yes, well known designers. I think if you have the right "look" and some long legs people will hire you.

But yes, if you are short...it isn't going to happen.

Nov 16 07 05:24 pm Link

Model

kristenvictoria

Imajin Studios wrote:

i dont im short and i except it tho...there is couple small runway things i get offered but its more promo work i think thats what its called ,,, like fashion shows at nightclubs..there not nearly as high rank lol but there fun

Nov 16 07 05:27 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Imajin Studios wrote:

Thank you for clearing that up for us.
I was curious.

Nov 16 07 05:32 pm Link

Model

Karen Alene

Alamogordo, New Mexico, US

Imajin Studios wrote:

That's up to the designers to decide what models they want on the runway not yours.

Nov 16 07 05:39 pm Link

Model

Karen Alene

Alamogordo, New Mexico, US

Imajin Studios wrote:

So did you measure each and every model on the runway? True everyone was over 5'5" but how do you know their exact height?

Nov 16 07 05:41 pm Link

Model

Jaclynn

Devon Aoki is 5'6".....

Nov 16 07 05:47 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Karen Alene wrote:

That's up to the designers to decide what models they want on the runway not yours.

Ummm......the designers have already chosen.  That's why agencies turn away short models by the thousands every year.

Nov 16 07 05:49 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Karen Alene wrote:

So did you measure each and every model on the runway? True everyone was over 5'5" but how do you know their exact height?

Because you can look these girls up on the internet babe.
Their agencies have their stats listed.
Because they are agency models.

Nov 16 07 05:50 pm Link

Model

Tiara

Lawrenceville, Georgia, US

Jaclynn wrote:
I love doing runway, but yes, I KNOW that there is no way in hell I'll ever do pro NYC runway shows for top designers at my height of 5'7". That doesn't stop me from being approached to do PAID runway shows here in Hawai'i for some amazing, and yes, well known designers. I think if you have the right "look" and some long legs people will hire you.

But yes, if you are short...it isn't going to happen.

Your so beautiful they would make an exception.. I am 5'8" and I do some and that's still considered short for runway but I know alot of short girls who do it mostly for free or for "exposure" and I aint doing freebies....lol
If a designer is going to pay they are going to pay the taller girls over the shorties is what I have seen.

Nov 16 07 05:51 pm Link

Model

Jaclynn

Tiara G wrote:

Your so beautiful they would make an exception.. I am 5'8" and I do some and that's still considered short for runway but I know alot of short girls who do it mostly for free or for "exposure" and I aint doing freebies....lol

Thank you my dear!  I suppose if given the option between a more attractive, shorter model and a tall, less attractive one they would tend to pick the more attractive shorter model. I don't think of my self as "short" per say, but of course I am short in high fashion industry standards.

Devon Aoki, a VS model is 5'6"....

Nov 16 07 05:55 pm Link

Model

-Jae-

DOVER FOXCROFT, Maine, US

Fifi-Alexis wrote:

Jami... seriously... stop perpetuating the lie that because Kate and Devon did it, everyone else can.

Devon was a model because of her famous father.... If she wasn't already famous, she wouldn't have been a model. Kate Moss was an anomaly... Not everyone was Kate Moss... and, she started as a teen so, they thought she would still grow.

I hate it when people put these messages out there without putting out all the facts also.

who the hell is Devons father? Thats not what I know her for. And I've never heard anybody say that..... I thought she was famous because of her unique look and I first saw her in 2 Fast 2 Furious. But she herself said in ELLEgirl magazine something about girls not necessarily having to be tall, and that short girls can do is too.

why do established models keep telling girls that they can do it despite their height if they really can't....doesn't that just get a girls hopes up? just a thought.

Nov 16 07 05:56 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Jaclynn wrote:

Thank you my dear!  I suppose if given the option between a more attractive, shorter model and a tall, less attractive one they would tend to pick the more attractive shorter model. I don't think of my self as "short" per say, but of course I am short in high fashion industry standards.

Devon Aoki, a VS model is 5'6"....

banghead

No, they wouldn't.  They would go with the less attractive taller model who would fit the samples unless she was the daughter of someone famous and then they would make an exception.  It's runway, the model doesn't have to be the prettiest thing in the world.

Nov 16 07 05:57 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Jessica Ocasio wrote:

who the hell is Devons father? Thats not what I know her for. And I've never heard anybody say that..... I thought she was famous because of her unique look and I first saw her in 2 Fast 2 Furious. But she herself said in ELLEgirl magazine something about girls not necessarily having to be tall, and that short girls can do is too.

why do established models keep telling girls that they can do it despite their height if they really can't....doesn't that just get a girls hopes up? just a thought.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/p.php?thread_id=146830

Please read the above.  Thank you.

Nov 16 07 05:58 pm Link

Model

Tiara

Lawrenceville, Georgia, US

Jessica Ocasio wrote:

Devon's father owns Beni Hanna resturant chain(spelling) That's probably the only reason she is a model kinda like Paris Hilton, Lydia Hearst or all of Mick Jagger's daughters who are models because of their family. They are so short though they probably wouldn't have been signed otherwise.

Nov 16 07 06:00 pm Link

Model

-Jae-

Tiara G wrote:
Devon's father owns Beni Hanna resturant chain(spelling) That's probably the only reason she is a model kinda like Paris Hilton, Lydia Hearst or all of Mick Jagger's daughters who are models because of their family. They are so short though they probably wouldn't have been signed otherwise.

wow...i really must be sheltered.lol. I never even heard of that resturant chain.lol.
must be from living in Maine my whole life.lol. guess I'll be learning alot once I move to San Diego....

Nov 16 07 06:05 pm Link

Model

-Jae-

Nov 16 07 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

Karen Alene wrote:

you are quite a genius you know that

Nov 22 07 01:22 am Link

Model

Charlotte__

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

I'm only 5''8, but I look much taller because I'm so skinny. So I've walked a runwayshow once tongue And maybe I will do another one in the Hilton 1 dec.

But you're right, that isn't really high fashion. tongue But I don't consider myself too small for the runway.. People always think I'm 5''9 or so, maybe that's why..

Nov 22 07 08:49 am Link

Model

Britt Baskiat

Nov 25 07 12:35 pm Link

Model

----ten----

Nov 25 07 12:40 pm Link