Forums > Model Colloquy > Why do short models insist of doin Runway?

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

JenMon wrote:

I'm not talking about local work, I'm going for the big time. And quit your petty jiding, it's soooooooooooo old, you have no idea. You sound like old women. Like you think your coming up with new insults, but you're not.

https://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2350/noonegivesafuck3dj.png

May 31 07 07:17 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

JenMon wrote:

I'm not talking about local work, I'm going for the big time. And quit your petty jiding, it's soooooooooooo old, you have no idea. You sound like old women. Like you think your coming up with new insults, but you're not.

What in the hell are you talking about?  I'm not insulting anyone, I'm just stating what the facts are.

May 31 07 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

JenMon wrote:
It's really not something to get into a tizzy about, why get all bothered when someone shorter than average grabs an opportunity to do runway? Good for them and let them have the experience. It's all about the law of attraction. I'm quite "short", 5'6" and have done runway, only because people on modelmayhem told me to forget about it. I never really cared about runway, but I wanted to prove something so I did, and it can be done.

Psssssst.....UH..what runway show did you do..plese share..

It wasnt local yocal?..Links? Images? Do tell...

Otherwise....Piss or get off the pot..

May 31 07 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

Vance wrote:
1. I love the internet!

2. Udor is tigh ton the money..

My hard drives are defragging so I have plenty of time to muck around.

I am currently the producer for a new show being made for MTV. One of the things we do is cover red carpet events and all types of local events across the country. Now as a producer who happens to be a photgrapher I am always amused when we end up at an event involving a local designer putting on a fashion show.

These designers usually use friends as models and have little or no budget. So the models tend to be local gals who dabble in modeling. It's a far ry from a NY fashion show with top designers. WHY? MONEY...The local up and coming designers can't afford to pay top models and usually the clothing they design is made to sell now in their local markets. So, they don't invest in making designs for "the runway"

I know this because I've just done a ton of interviews.

As UDOR said, if and once these designers make the leap to the big show, they know the use of "non standard" models is out the window.

As to the models who do these little shows in "smaller markets".

May 31 07 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

Vance wrote:

Thats fine and dandy..

REALITY Check..sorry..

At 21..if you were going to be one of those exceptions..it would have happened already.
This is a time based industry...when did Kate Moss start? When did tose other exceptions to the usual rules begin?

It sucks..but its reality..

Not that you cant have a career..or even a profitable one...But when you use the "exceptions' as a point in an argument, you need to look at all of the aspects of said exception in comparison to the realities of the business.

True again, you see most models don't realise these other girls started at when they were 16 or 17 years old and by the time they are 21-22 they are recognisable faces, sorry at 21-22 its hard to break in unless you are one of those Brazillian bombshells that gets discovered on the Beach by some Elite or Ford scout on Beach in Brazil or walking to a Supermarket and brings em over and they break in

May 31 07 10:02 am Link

Photographer

James Bluck

Westfield, New Jersey, US

Because they want to.  They'll never make it in the top shows, but there are lots of smaller shows for unknown designers where they'll get their chance to strut there stuff.  Nothing wrong with that.

Why do bad photographers insist on taking pictures?

May 31 07 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

I model n dance wrote:
I for one will vouch for this one!

I am 5'4" and have done PLENTY of runway. My problem with designers and models is that, there are WAY TOO MANY "slim"or "thin"models or models that weight 100-115lbs while designer are making clothing for all these stick figures that can't even wear the clothing right because they have no OUNCE body definition.

Another example, you don't have to be 5'9" to do runway, meanwhile Mo'nique(all my black people know who i'm talkin about!!) Has ALL BIG WOMEN from. the united states becoming models and doing RUNWAY*

So before you decide to point the finger at US SHORT MODELS, you NEED TO LOOK AROUND ALL ELEMENTS OF A MODEL INVOLVED WITH RUNWAY!!!!

AND I WILL CONTINUE DOING RUNWAY AS A SHORT MODELS! :-)

AHHA!!

so i guess i'll see you this fall at Bryant Park at the Baby Phat show...look me up on the media riser, i'll be the "Guy with a Camera"

May 31 07 10:10 am Link

Model

JESSICA CLAIRE

Los Angeles, California, US

Imajin Studios wrote:
Why do models who are short for High fashion runway (below 5'9") keep insisting they want to do runway work?

People always want what they can't have...

I am only 5'3'' or four. I've probably grown but I think it would be cool to do some runway work for a up and coming clothing designer- but that's pretty much as far as my dream goes because I know my limits.
One size fits most.

May 31 07 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

James Bluck wrote:
Why do bad photographers insist on taking pictures?

Because they can oft times imporve.  22 year old 5'4" girls will oft times be 5'4" no matter how much time passes.

May 31 07 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

Bruce Talbot wrote:

Pssspt. You know, one with bouncers, ahem, doormen.

(( yes I'm snarky tonight ))

bt

Bruce you crack me up, loved your other comment about the photog in Italy Studio in London fav restaurant in Turkey lol

May 31 07 10:12 am Link

Model

Tiara Lestari

Jhanaydāh, Jhanaydāh, Bangladesh

pffft

because they think they can be the next Kate Moss.

Muahahahha

May 31 07 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

Vance wrote:

You are from Schaumburg, Illinois? I am from Flossmoor, Illinois... I know for a fact..there AINT squat out there! That's why I am in LA.

Sure there are plenty of markets. thats the point here... Market yourself in the right market. And realize, not ALL markets mean you can quit your day job.

Some modeling markets are good for some extra cash. Just because you are in one of those markets dosent mean you are on your way to Kate Moss status.

werd up...

hey Vance there is lotsa Polska Kelbasa's in Schaumburg, shit there is IKEA, Woodfield mall on the way lol

May 31 07 10:19 am Link

Model

NormaParker

Houston, Texas, US

SWEETFACE SHOTS wrote:
Why do people complain about someone elses dreams?

Why did you choose that lady for your avatar?

lol!!

May 31 07 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

Jami Lea wrote:

Wow, small world.  I was born on Great Lakes naval base in IL.  I've lived in Canton, Sparland, Varna, Peoria, Lacon, Chicago hmm lets see where else lol

I miss the mid-west.  People are genuine smile

Evanston right here, just off Touhy

May 31 07 10:21 am Link

Model

New York, New York, US

SWEETFACE SHOTS wrote:
Why did you choose that lady for your avatar?

ROFFLE

May 31 07 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

Vance wrote:

thats why I live in Culver City....WE CAN HEAR THE CRICKETS...:-)

Not like in the mornings in Flossmoor though...werd!

Culver City, did i see you at Smashbox Studios? i stayed at the Radisson right off Centinella

May 31 07 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

PYPI wrote:

Most people in the world can't hold a tune if their life depended on it. Should we have bad singers putting out records because it's fair and representative of the population?

that what Sanjaya was trying to do and shameful enuf the population seemed to embrace that and kept voting on him, you know when he was voted out my daughter said its cruel to make him sing after he just cried and i said i cried each time he sang

May 31 07 10:27 am Link

Model

NormaParker

Houston, Texas, US

SWEETFACE SHOTS wrote:
Why are you bothered about it? They can insist all they want but the truth is they won't be hired on a larger show....What's your point? If you see one on some sort of a runway what is YOUR issue with it?

I like you, SWEETFACE SHOTS!

I'm 4'11" and anybody can tell you that I can WALK the WALK. I'm not conceited about it, just confident. I totally understand that Runway shows prefer tall models. But I dont let that stop me. Yeah, it's a challenge. But I love challenges. I've done some runway shows. For example...I was hired to do a High Fashion Runway show last Saturday at the convention center in DC. I was kind of skeptical about it because the rest of the models were 5'7" and taller. I felt like an outkast, but at the end of the show...I received many compliments and contact info from other designers. I was surprised in a way...but, HEY, THEY MAKE PETITE CLOTHING TOO! I love runway shows and I will still do them...whether they are major or not....You can cry and cry about runway shows belonging to tall models...it's all good, they looks good doing it...I dont have nothing against that....I know I will never be a Supermodel on the runway, but I will still do them, if I get hired....nobody will tell me otherwise.

May 31 07 10:30 am Link

Model

LaViolette

Hollywood, Florida, US

Imajin Studios wrote:
Why do models who are short for High fashion runway (below 5'9") keep insisting they want to do runway work?

They figure if Kate Moss is short & she can do it, why can't THEY do it as well? They see one shorter person doing it (w/ out realizing this person is an exception to the rule) so they think any short person can do it if they just dream hard enough, lol.

Speaking of Miss Kate has anyone else noticed that every time someone uses her as an example of short models on the runway, her "height" gets shorter every time? First people say she's 5'7, then 5'6, & now 5'5.

May 31 07 10:34 am Link

Model

Tiara Lestari

Hi OP! smile

May 31 07 10:35 am Link

Model

Tiara Lestari

Lestari wrote:
pffttttttttt

Lestari wrote:
pffft

Muahahahha

Goldie117 wrote:

They figure if Kate Moss is short & she can do it, why can't THEY do it as well? They see one shorter person doing it (w/ out realizing this person is an exception to the rule) so they think any short person can do it if they just dream hard enough, lol.

Speaking of Miss Kate has anyone else noticed that every time someone uses her as an example of short models on the runway, her "height" gets shorter every time? First people say she's 5'7, then 5'6, & now 5'5.

you and I think alike.

May 31 07 10:36 am Link

Model

LaViolette

Hollywood, Florida, US

Lestari wrote:

Lestari wrote:
pffttttttttt

Lestari wrote:
pffft

Muahahahha

you and I think alike.

You know what they say, great minds think alike smile

May 31 07 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Rhonda708

Miami, Florida, US

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh i'm sick of this crap! thats it! short models and short photographers (me) lol - are taking over the world! end of story - we're the majority anyway so we rule! yahooooo!

May 31 07 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Rhonda708

Miami, Florida, US

Lestari wrote:
Hi OP! smile

i'm the op now! i'm jacking it lol JUST KIDDING!. Hi Lestari ;-)

May 31 07 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Mac Wolff

Litchfield Park, Arizona, US

Another thread gone to shi_

May 31 07 10:44 am Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

Lestari wrote:
pffttttttttt

Lestari wrote:
pffft

Muahahahha

Goldie117 wrote:

Lestari wrote:
you and I think alike.

Yeah. But I actually made it law. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate%27s_Law

May 31 07 10:46 am Link

Model

NormaParker

Houston, Texas, US

Enticing_Enjoli wrote:

Sweetie I am a good 5ft 5.5in lol and I think we are the ones that was really supposed to answer that question lol but for me *cough cough* I jus wanna try it all!!! I know I am short Dont think it fair that I am cast out due to being a bit vertically challenged but I can move on and get my experience or runway fame locally in these fashion shows so....that's my time to shine and I will other than that lol I know where my place is in this industry...of course most ppl dont do change its a written law somewhere that we the short ppl are not to due runway (for whatever reason) geez get over it there is so much more out there you can do...get in where you fit in

I totally agree with you.

May 31 07 10:47 am Link

Model

NormaParker

Houston, Texas, US

Rhonda Oatman wrote:
aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh i'm sick of this crap! thats it! short models and short photographers (me) lol - are taking over the world! end of story - we're the majority anyway so we rule! yahooooo!

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 31 07 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Rhonda708

Miami, Florida, US

NormaParker wrote:

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH! whats up Norma, lets band together! We can do this! lol ;-)

May 31 07 10:51 am Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

Rhonda Oatman wrote:

It's a good thing that models are not picked to be representative of the population. The average American is fat and overweight. Do we really want to see that on the runway and on fashion magazine covers? This is one case where majority DOES NOT rule.

May 31 07 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Rhonda708

Miami, Florida, US

PYPI wrote:

It's a good thing that models are not picked to be representative of the population. The average American is fat and overweight. Do we really want to see that on the runway and on fashion magazine covers? This is one case where majority DOES NOT rule.

You're really bored aren't you? ;-)

May 31 07 10:57 am Link

Model

LaViolette

Hollywood, Florida, US

PYPI wrote:

There are times when it's better for the model to look every day girl-next-door. Like for commercial prints & lifestyle shots.

May 31 07 10:59 am Link

Model

ValerieDaquiri

Tempe, Arizona, US

I think it's because most believe that designers should actually use the everyday life size people.

Other than that I'm really not sure... Shorter models i think are perfect for lingeries/glamour/maxim stuff... which is wut im going towards.

May 31 07 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Rhonda708

Miami, Florida, US

Goldie117 wrote:
There are times when it's better for the model to look every day girl-next-door. Like for commercial prints & lifestyle shots.

Ruuunn Goldie! Here it comes! He's going to say that he is only talking about "fashion"

I can predict the future! wink wink lol. j/k .... had too much sugar this morning.

May 31 07 11:00 am Link

Model

LaViolette

Hollywood, Florida, US

Rhonda Oatman wrote:

Ruuunn Goldie! Here it comes! He's going to say that he is only talking about "fashion"

I can predict the future! wink wink lol. j/k .... had too much sugar this morning.

Lol!

May 31 07 11:01 am Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

Goldie117 wrote:

Of course. There are times you need a bald guy to pose as the before picture in a spray on hair ad. Just don't expect to see that guy on the runway or on GQ.

May 31 07 11:01 am Link

Model

LaViolette

Hollywood, Florida, US

PYPI wrote:

Of course. There are times you need a bald guy to pose as the before picture in a spray on hair ad. Just don't expect to see that guy on the runway or on GQ.

Never expected him to smile

May 31 07 11:02 am Link

Model

NormaParker

Houston, Texas, US

Bianca wrote:
Take a look at my friend Giselle FASHION MODEL, not very tall but she rocks it.
https://modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=33226

LOVE THAT GIRL!

May 31 07 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Rhonda708

Miami, Florida, US

Goldie117 wrote:

Lol!

aaah, he said something different just to prove me wrong lol. its ok, I'm still amazing and in charge! ;-)

May 31 07 11:04 am Link

Model

NormaParker

Houston, Texas, US

Rhonda Oatman wrote:

YEAH! whats up Norma, lets band together! We can do this! lol ;-)

YEAH, RHONDA....LETs KICK SOME A**! LOL....

May 31 07 11:05 am Link