Forums > Model Colloquy > Why runway shows need tall models:

Photographer

KonstantKarma

Campobello, South Carolina, US

Yeah at first look I thought it was Roseanne.

Oct 21 13 02:58 am Link

Photographer

PashaPhoto

Brooklyn, New York, US

Erlinda wrote:

I would say http://www.fashiongonerogue.com/ is my fav site for fashion editorials, ads etc smile

nice... bookmarked it.. thank you smile

Oct 21 13 03:00 am Link

Model

Mattie Wilson 1

Arlington, Texas, US

Erlinda wrote:

LMAO the plank will make the tall models look even better and lengthier which designers love and usually go for.

You aren't going to win this argument because it has to do with what sales and what consumers want to see.... And what people want to see are skinny chicks. smile

Nope they just look freakishly tall is all. You are just stuck in your ways and scared that shorter models would get all the jobs. I know about model competition. Anyways I'm going to bed it was nice to chat with you all, I have to get up for work in 7hours. I love the positive models, you all rock. The simple minded models need to stop trying to fit in with the industry rules and stand out more. I still love you all though, because I have my mind made up, and God will help me through this battle as always. Hasta la vista ladies damas.

Oct 21 13 03:01 am Link

Photographer

Expression Unlimited

Oceanside, California, US

Mandy McKeating wrote:
not trying to start shit, just playing devil's advocate...

i understand the height thing, but why do they have to be stick figures? what makes a size 0-2 model carry the clothes better than, say, a size 4-6 model, assuming both are of the same height?

The clothes are meant to be shown off, so of course they have to be stick figures!  For runway high fashion or haute couture they are 'clothes hangers' and clothes don't hang in runway style if you have much in the way curves  ... especially if those curves are not where the designer expected them to be!

;-)

It's just to make the designers job easy actually.

Not the buyers, who often need to dress more average sized women.

And the richer the customers are the older and larger many tend to be!!

Oct 21 13 03:01 am Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Carmichael, California, US

Expression Unlimited wrote:

The clothes are meant to be shown off, so of course they have to be stick figures!  For runway high fashion or haute couture they are 'clothes hangers' and clothes don't hang in runway style if you have much in the way curves  ... especially if those curves are not where the designer expected them to be!

;-)

It's just to make the designers job easy actually.

Not the buyers, who often need to dress more average sized women.

And the richer the customers are the older and larger many tend to be!!

+1

Because looks, in a fashion model, are of a secondary concern, apparently.

Oct 21 13 03:03 am Link

Photographer

Expression Unlimited

Erlinda wrote:

They do look better but also taller models are easy to see for those in the way back of the fashion shows.

LOL

Oct 21 13 03:05 am Link

Model

Mattie Wilson 1

Arlington, Texas, US

PashaPhoto wrote:

https://imageshack.com/a/img11/5440/ge4i.gif

That was funny

Oct 21 13 03:06 am Link

Photographer

Expression Unlimited

aspergianLens wrote:
+1

Because looks, in a fashion model, are of a secondary concern, apparently.

oh, well put .... because they are!
Especially on the amateur circuit ...

All they have to be is tall and THIN.  Some times not even tall.
They just have to be thin and WALK
And with zero expression.

Often they cant turn to both the left and the right.

;-)

It doesn't so much matter on the runway what their skin or hair looks like as the stylist fixes all that... The more they do it the worse their own hair and skin, and modeling skills can become as a result!

My colleagues all get so excited when a tall thin model shows up to shoot. I much prefer a model who does more than 2 poses, with personality and great hair, skin and teeth.
That can pose and work a camera. 

In other words, not things guarenteed by being a runway model.....

Oct 21 13 03:12 am Link

Model

Mattie Wilson 1

Arlington, Texas, US

Only teenagers look at runway models in magazines. I know many men that are fit, & gorgeous said that they buy the cars and rims magazines just to look at the promotional models because they are real thick and fine. Those the type of magazines I always see in a guys home, laying around, not a fashion magazine. Now I am done, chat with you all later on tonight.

Oct 21 13 03:14 am Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Expression Unlimited wrote:

oh, well put .... because they are!
Especially on the amateur circuit ...

All they have to be is tall and THIN.  Some times not even tall.
They just have to be thin and WALK
And with zero expression.

Often they cant turn to both the left and the right.

;-)

It doesn't so much matter on the runway what their skin or hair looks like as the stylist fixes all that... The more they do it the worse their own hair and skin, and modeling skills can become as a result!

My colleagues all get so excited when a tall thin model shows up to shoot. I much prefer a model who does more than 2 poses, with personality and great hair, skin and teeth.
That can pose and work a camera. 

In other words, not things guarenteed by being a runway model.....

This is all a reason I prefer to work with alt, art, glamour and fetish models...

Actually, the number one thing I pay attention to isn't really looks -- it's personality.  I don't like working with boring or stiff models.

Oct 21 13 03:16 am Link

Photographer

PashaPhoto

Brooklyn, New York, US

KonstantKarma wrote:
http://flavorwire.com/420491/fashion-ma … ilm-at-11/

- FYI, relevant and in the news.

When Bridesmaids came out, Melissa McCarthy became the newest flashpoint in public discussion of all things fat. The latest evidence of that is November’s cover of ELLE, where the magazine has swathed her in the largest trenchcoat imaginable. Longtime decipherers of women’s magazine jargon will recognize this as a maneuver by evil fashion stylists to “flatter her strengths.” In this particular frame, as June Thomas points out at Slate, it’s obvious that these purported strengths were not her body as a whole. So the result is this: ELLE runs a fat-positive cover that seems afraid of its subject’s actual, well, fat.

https://flavorwire.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/rs_634x904-131010085134-634-melissa-mccarthy-elle-jl-101013.jpg

i read somewhere, and for the life of me i can't remember where, that the coat was not actually a fashion statement but an homage to her comedy idol - Sam Kinison...

overall, when i saw this shot for the fist time i couldn't start cracking up...

i had to shoot my first "big girl" relatively early on in my development.. i had no fucking clue what to do, so asked a fellow photographer for help and he just told me - use the "Heart" trick... i had no idea what that was, so he send me this link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWzy5q_M5Ho , and i instantly "got it"...

for those old enough to remember this band and their videos, there were two girls... one would dance around in all her hotness, and the other one always appeared as a "floating head"... you rarely saw her below the neck line, and that's when she was not gratuitiously obstructed by some random prop...

so basically, big hair to make the face appear smaller... big shoulders to bring the head back into proportion with the rest of the body, and then it just becomes a game of "creatively hide the body behind some prop"...

i look at that cover, and all i see i can see is the "Heart" trick smile

Oct 21 13 03:20 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

Mattie Wilson Campbell wrote:
Only teenagers look at runway models in magazines. I know many men that are fit, & gorgeous said that they buy the cars and rims magazines just to look at the promotional models because they are real thick and fine. Those the type of magazines I always see in a guys home, laying around, not a fashion magazine. Now I am done, chat with you all later on tonight.

That's not true..... Women of all ages look at runway models in magazines.

Fashion magazines like Vogue, Elle etc don't care about the men. The women are the ones that care about fashion and are their consumers.

Those men that have magazines of the "real thick and fine" chicks in them are doing more then just looking at the photos LMAO lol

Oct 21 13 03:21 am Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

PashaPhoto wrote:

i read somewhere, and for the life of me i can't remember where, that the coat was not actually a fashion statement but an homage to her comedy idol - Sam Kinison...

overall, when i saw this shot for the fist time i couldn't start cracking up...

i had to shoot my first "big girl" relatively early on in my development.. i had no fucking clue what to do, so asked a fellow photographer for help and he just told me - use the "Heart" trick... i had no idea what that was, so he send me this link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWzy5q_M5Ho , and i instantly "got it"...

for those old enough to remember this band and their videos, there were two girls... one would dance around in all her hotness, and the other one always appeared as a "floating head"... you rarely saw her below the neck line, and that's when she was not gratuitiously obstructed by some random prop...

so basically, big hair to make the face appear smaller... big shoulders to bring the head back into proportion with the rest of the body, and then it just becomes a game of "creatively hide the body behind some prop"...

i look at that cover, and all i see i can see is the "Heart" trick smile

They were (are?) one of my favorite bands of all time, and yeah, that's how it got done.

Who didn't love Sam Kinison?

Photographing big girls is definitely a task for the brave.

Oct 21 13 03:27 am Link

Photographer

PashaPhoto

Brooklyn, New York, US

KonstantKarma wrote:

They were (are?) one of my favorite bands of all time, and yeah, that's how it got done.

Who didn't love Sam Kinison?

Photographing big girls is definitely a task for the brave.

one of the best "chick bands" of all time...

ok, enough reminiscing... i mentioned earlier that Udor's thread has been going for 6 years, and i was somewhat wrong... it's been going for 6 years and 9 months, which has got to be some kind of a record...

i would feel terrible if the mods lock this up as derailed because of talk of "chick bands" and "floating heads" smile

Oct 21 13 03:36 am Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

They might go Crazy On You....

lol

Oct 21 13 03:46 am Link

Photographer

Mr HOGs Poetry

Weaverville, North Carolina, US

This thread could go on indefinitely. It should probably be one of those permanent ones at the top of the forum. That way people could helpfully refer the new short, heavy, enthusiastic models who are going to change the fashion industry to it so they can be famous for a day.

Oct 21 13 03:58 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

It's one thing to think you can change the industry when you are young and have somewhat of the right looks for it but to be 29 years old, 5'4ft and 200bl is not a realistic dream. But hey, what do I know, I am just someone that works in the industry she is trying to change roll

Oct 21 13 04:08 am Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Erlinda wrote:
It's one thing to think you can change the industry when you are young and have somewhat of the right looks for it but to be 29 years old, 5'4ft and 200bl is not a realistic dream. But hey, what do I know, I am just someone that works in the industry she is trying to change roll

You're actually being nice, as was I, in the Newbie Forum.  Stronger terms might apply here, even.

And I already got called a "diva" in there.  Hmm.  Can male photographers be divas too?

edit: and I think she'd have as much luck trying to change any other industry as the fashion industry.  Imagine if someone complained to the electronics industry that their products were too expensive... it wouldn't accomplish anything.

Oct 21 13 04:16 am Link

Model

Countess Grotesque

Mandurah, Western Australia, Australia

Erlinda wrote:

True what is popular and on trend changes but when it comes to models it wont. Because young girls and women have an ideal on what they want to look at/look like. There have been many research on this topic that proves that consumers are drawn to the life style and skinny models.

What about back when pin-ups were the popular thing? Curves were the way to go...
That's what I mean by change.
(and this is coming from someone who has been very thin and very large...I have been many sizes so no bias coming from me).
I don't think it'll change anytime soon at all. I don't actually mind either way because it's not something that directly affects me. I'm just saying, it's not impossible and change really is inevitable, we don't really know what the next popular thing will be or when.
At the end of the day to be truly honest, size doesn't matter to me when it comes to models, it's how someone carries themselves and poses and walks, personality that shines through the images or the charisma someone has on the runway, I think those things are important. I am pretty damn sure tall slender women will grace our runways in high end for a very long time, I am just open to the fact it may/will change one day.

Oct 21 13 05:14 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

Countess Grotesque wrote:

What about back when pin-ups were the popular thing? Curves were the way to go...
(and this is coming from someone who has been very thin and very large...I have been many sizes so no bias coming from me).
I don't think it'll change anytime soon at all. I don't actually mind either way because it's not something that directly affects me. I'm just saying, it's not impossible and change really is inevitable, we don't really know what the next popular thing will be or when.
At the end of the day to be truly honest, size doesn't matter to me when it comes to models, it's how someone carries themselves and poses and walks, personality that shines through the images or the charisma someone has on the runway, I think those things are important. I am pretty damn sure tall slender women will grace our runways in high end for a very long time, I am just open to the fact it may/will change one day.

Like I stated before.... Change isn't impossible but I wouldn't hold my breath big_smile

Oct 21 13 08:40 am Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Erlinda wrote:

Like I stated before.... Change isn't impossible but I wouldn't hold my breath big_smile

I think perhaps the issue here isn't so much that change isn't impossible, but it is almost impossible to effect by a single person, regardless of who they might be.

Real change of this kind needs some kind of organized power behind it, I would imagine.

As for new models coming into these forums and stating that they'll "teach the industry a lesson", or something of that sort -- well, it's patently absurd.

Oct 21 13 08:59 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Sorry for being religious, but hallelujah is all I have to say. I love positive people.

Neither religious belief nor positivity, nor all the fervent blustering in the world will change the fact that 5'4" 200lb models are not suitable for runway work.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Oct 21 13 09:27 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

They said a black person would never be president and look how far history has come. So shorter-thicker models will become the new norm in history, just watch and see. God is in control.

You go girl!  borat

popcorn

Oct 21 13 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Know Idea

Los Angeles, California, US

Like music: different markets, different tunes.
Pin-ups are not fashion, per se.

Oct 21 13 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

Know Idea wrote:

Like music: different markets, different tunes.
Pin-ups are not fashion, per se.

That's what I was thinking but I honestly didn't see the point in adding anymore comments.

Oct 21 13 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Very informative thread and quite entertaining!  big_smile

Oct 21 13 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Mr HOGs Poetry

Weaverville, North Carolina, US

Pin-ups are probably better viewed as the legal and acceptable edge, for their time, of erotic portrayals of women rather than as a fashion statement. As laws and other regulatory pressures eased that imagery evolved towards nudes, glamour, and the lighter sides of the adult industry. In those contexts you'll still see curves, it hasn't changed all that much.

Oct 21 13 10:29 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Nope they just look freakishly tall is all. You are just stuck in your ways and scared that shorter models would get all the jobs. I know about model competition. Anyways I'm going to bed it was nice to chat with you all, I have to get up for work in 7hours. I love the positive models, you all rock. The simple minded models need to stop trying to fit in with the industry rules and stand out more. I still love you all though, because I have my mind made up, and God will help me through this battle as always. Hasta la vista ladies damas.

Okay Mrs. Campbell;

I actually wanted to stay away from this thread, because the way you are arguing.

Now..., if you don't mind, read my original post, which I originally posted during Fashion Week in NY on February 11, 2006... apparently, it is as relevant today, as it was over 7 years ago.

If you read it, you will find the reason WHY the mainstream fashion industry for the major shows uses tall models... sofar, most runway models walking in NY have been 5'9" and up,... despite your prayers... they are not getting shorter... they actually started to cast more models at 5'10" and up.

But... that is New York City and the fashion week here is one of the 5 most important centers in the world for the fashion industry.

From New York on... the markets in the US get smaller and smaller, more regional and so forth... the smaller the market, the more local the designer, the more "normal" models they find...

I shoot a lot, I mean A LOT in the urban (black) market in NYC as well, and there are indeed a few models that are your body type and they have a lot of fun "ripping the runway"... and those are fun shows...

However... they will NOT walk at NY Fashion Week, not at the tents, not for any major designer... and there are many, many reasons for it... and it has nothing to do with your wishful thinking, because it's a multi-billion Dollars industry...and it's about the money and production value.

Modeling in the mainstream industry is about the clothes and not about your ego or Jesus.

I have written another post with a definition for models, actually just like you and your ideas, which is not meant to offend, but to make you think...

If you take a look, you will also see another article I had written which is about modeling success and how to find the market you fit in.

I think that's all for now.

Check out: Short "High Fashion Runway" Models = "Haubbits"

Oct 21 13 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Tim Roper

Palo Alto, California, US

When pin-ups were popular, fashion models were as skinny as they are now, and almost as tall (the height's gone up over the years).  Take a look at someone like Dovima, a "supermodel" from the 1950s.  This isn't a recent trend.

Oct 21 13 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

Tim Roper wrote:

When pin-ups were popular, fashion models were as skinny as they are now, and almost as tall (the height's gone up over the years).  Take a look at someone like Dovima, a "supermodel" from the 1950s.  This isn't a recent trend.

I didn't write that.... Don't know how my name got there lol tongue

Oct 21 13 10:57 am Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I've never had any desire to walk a runway.  I think it looks like a boring job.  No "short model" runway-walking delusions here...I would walk one if I was offered money to, though.  But I'm not holding my breath by any stretch.  Yawn.

Oct 21 13 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Tim Roper

Palo Alto, California, US

Erlinda wrote:

I didn't write that.... Don't know how my name got there lol tongue

Sorry about that, I was having problems with the quote function.  But now I've just removed the quote rather than hassle with figuring out the html of it all smile

Oct 21 13 11:22 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

The only dummy I see are all the people that commented, you all don't know your history, which is why I see why you all are models. Dumb to let some industry tell you what is or not accepted. If the President listened to people like you, he would never been president and still living check to check. You all let people tell you, what looks good and what don't look good, you all are retarded. Watch me do me, you all stay in your lane, let me show you all how to change history.

Excuse me?

Oct 21 13 12:21 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Yes, because I don't let the world consume the majority of my mind. Why should I remember models are they going to help me when I am in a crisis. Nope all they will say too bad, thank God it is not me. I am making this a career for me and my family and not others.

I'm sorry-- so YOU'RE giving and thoughtful, but models who have worked and are actually making it in this industry are heartless, and also dumb?

You keep talking about positivity and all I see is hate.

Oct 21 13 12:25 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

I'm pretty sure half of the "models" you are talking about are photographers.

Oct 21 13 12:33 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Fashion magazines are made for women, not men.

Are you also going the route of "men don't like skinny women"? Because that's what I'm hearing.

And trust me, they do.

There's this crazy thing about men. There are a lot of them and many like different things. That's why when you see people getting married you see all different types of girls. I know, it's shocking news, but I thought I would educate you.

Just so you know, you're talking about real people and being very offensive.

Oh, also, a lot of ANTM girls are signed with crap agencies here and barely make ends meet, and also work in restaurants. Nothing wrong with that, but you are quite confused as to what usually happens when you leave reality TV.

Oct 21 13 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

The only dummy I see are all the people that commented, you all don't know your history, which is why I see why you all are models. Dumb to let some industry tell you what is or not accepted. If the President listened to people like you, he would never been president and still living check to check. You all let people tell you, what looks good and what don't look good, you all are retarded. Watch me do me, you all stay in your lane, let me show you all how to change history.

At what point do you think our current president lived paycheck to paycheck - LOL those poor Harvard law graduates always waiting in the food stamps line...

By any standard there are no poor federal politicians, they started rich and got richer.

Oct 21 13 12:40 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

That is why you use tall models for the designers who couldn't afford to book a place with a plank for a runway, and short models for the ones who can afford a plank for a runway. See solutions for everything, people always trying to make life hard...smh!

You def don't know what you are talking about!These designers that you are talking about are multi-million dollar companies and they spend a lot of time and money putting together their sets and picking the right models.PS it's not called a plank either.

Oct 21 13 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

There are a lot of short people in the world. I wouldn't want to buy a fashion designers clothing line if I saw only freakishly-tall women on the runway. I would say, "if I have to get the clothes hemmed up, then her line is not for me."

You wouldn't have to buy that designer brand. In no time, a knock off could emerge and trickle it's way to mainstream stores where you'll have plenty of sizing options, and the particular design that you end up purchasing might very well have had it's start on some freakishly-tall woman smile

Oct 22 13 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Yves Duchamp - Femme

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

There are a lot of short people in the world. I wouldn't want to buy a fashion designers clothing line if I saw only freakishly-tall women on the runway. I would say, "if I have to get the clothes hemmed up, then her line is not for me."

What brands do you wear?

Oct 22 13 08:36 pm Link