Tiara Lestari

Jhanaydāh, Jhanaydāh, Bangladesh

Im just wishing.. 5 inches taller. neutral

Jan 26 07 03:01 pm Link

Model

Mia Mali

Los Angeles, California, US

Mercy Studio wrote:

The cost is is irrelivant..  Cloth for an entire outfit is normally bought 1 bolt at a time, not by to foot.  In fact, there is usually lots left over.

Cost isn't entirely irrelevant. 
Making one industry standard sized outfit means you only have to make one for the runway show as opposed to having to tailor the outfit for each vastly different model.  It minimizes the amount of tailoring and thus time which is in turn money, so therefore it minimizes the amount of money spent on each individual model.

Just throwing that out there.

Jan 26 07 03:04 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Keni wrote:
All samples are made in a size 2.

Yes! That explains it !

Just think of how much material is saved worldwide compare to them using size 6 for example https://www.ourprivate.net/forum/images/smiles/lol.gifhttps://www.ourprivate.net/forum/images/smiles/lol.gifhttps://www.ourprivate.net/forum/images/smiles/lol.gif

Jan 26 07 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron S

Syracuse, Indiana, US

Mercy Studio wrote:

The cost is is irrelivant..  Cloth for an entire outfit is normally bought 1 bolt at a time, not by to foot.  In fact, there is usually lots left over.

Cost is hardly irrelevant. Capitalist economy, capitalist values.

Not to mention the time factor. It takes more time to make more than one size pattern. Maybe things work different in the fashion world of Canada.

Jan 26 07 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Rahim The Photographer

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

This about a very basic outfit..  like skin tight tights.. and now think about whom they would look better on.  a tall person, or a short person. Legs, and walk are everything in the business.

A short person walks differently that a tall person, and hence an outfit will move differently as well.

Compare if you will the following to height:

A 3 foot rope hanging in a gentle breeze, and a 6 foot rope hanging in the same breeze...
The shorter rope has more erratic movement where the whole piece will move as one, where-as the longer rope will move in a smoother flowing motion

Now if you were to replace the rope with a dress and the breeze with a walk, you get an outfit that is more pleaseing to watch.

Now take 2 pedastles in relation to height.  One that is 5 feet wide in diameter, and another that is 4 inches in diameter..

The slimmer one is always going to look taller.

There is a science to it really

More importantly, eyes are also drawn to legs..  The skinnier they are the longer they look, they further they enhance a dress and shoes.

Another problem with models with more muscle and fat (curves) is that that extra volume causes wrinkles and rolls in skin during a walk.  Harsh lighting on runways magnifies the shadows and it look horrid.

Proper posture on a taller, skinnier person also compliments the outfit..

The list goes on and on.

Jan 26 07 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Rahim The Photographer

Aaron S wrote:
Cost is hardly irrelevant. Capitalist economy, capitalist values.

Not to mention the time factor. It takes more time to make more than one size pattern. Maybe things work different in the fashion world of Canada.

Actually I was trained in fashion in Paris.

So by your rational, designers would just have to change the industry standard dress size and everything would move along smoothly after that?

Jan 26 07 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron S

Syracuse, Indiana, US

Mercy Studio wrote:
Actually I was trained in fashion in Paris.

So by your rational, designers would just have to change the industry standard dress size and everything would move along smoothly after that?

The standard has changed throughout history. Of course, it's never one single factor that changes it.Just like, it's not one reason, and cost, is just as relevant as looks in reasoning.

Jan 26 07 03:24 pm Link

Model

Seregon ODassey

New York, New York, US

I have an odd theory (actually it's not mine, but here it is anyway): a lot of male designers are gay, no boobs makes a model look more like a guy. Hell I don't know. I only ever did runway for a friend who was a designer and it made me nervous as hell. I can act my ass off, but I get nervous on a runway, go freakin' figure, LOL...

Jan 26 07 03:27 pm Link

Model

Mia Mali

Seregon ODassey wrote:
I have an odd theory (actually it's not mine, but here it is anyway): a lot of male designers are gay, no boobs makes a model look more like a guy. Hell I don't know. I only ever did runway for a friend who was a designer and it made me nervous as hell. I can act my ass off, but I get nervous on a runway, go freakin' figure, LOL...

lol.

Jan 26 07 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Rahim The Photographer

Aaron S wrote:

The standard has changed throughout history. Of course, it's never one single factor that changes it.Just like, it's not one reason, and cost, is just as relevant as looks in reasoning.

Not all dresses/outfits use the same amount of material.  However, I can appreciate that it is more efficiant to make a "one size fits all," and yes it can inadvertantly save money, and more importantly time.  The the cost of the fabric itself is not a big concern (unless you're in school, or just starting the trade).  It's not however the reason why tall skinny models are industry standard.

Jan 26 07 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Rahim The Photographer

Seregon ODassey wrote:

Boobs are fatty tissue.  Industry models generally don't have boobs because they are just to lean.

Jan 26 07 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron S

Syracuse, Indiana, US

Mercy Studio wrote:

Not all dresses/outfits use the same amount of material.  However, I can appreciate that it is more efficiant to make a "one size fits all," and yes it can inadvertantly save money, and more importantly time.  The the cost of the fabric itself is not a big concern (unless you're in school, or just starting the trade).  It's not however the reason why tall skinny models are industry standard.

For some business any cost is a big cost.

And it is not only just starting out businesses. Look at when Tom Ford did his first runway show for Gucci, and they could only afford one pair of shoes for everyone.

It might not be the single reason. But, there is no single reason why, it is a grouping of many factors.

Jan 26 07 03:34 pm Link

Model

Kerosene Krueger

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Mandy McKeating wrote:
not trying to start shit, just playing devil's advocate...

i understand the height thing, but why do they have to be stick figures? what makes a size 0-2 model carry the clothes better than, say, a size 4-6 model, assuming both are of the same height?

maybe they save money because then they use less fabric????
all those starving artist clothing designers...they gotta feed their kids ya know!!!

EDIT: boo, i really have to start reading the entire thread before i post things(that people have already said).....but then i'd never sleep....

Jan 27 07 01:56 am Link

Model

v e r o n i c a

Clifton, Arizona, US

i bet i can catch more eyes wearing wutever those 5'8 models are wearing even though i'm only 5'0

Jan 27 07 02:00 am Link

Photographer

Chex

Seregon ODassey wrote:

I actually agree with this "theory" more then any other.  If you look at some of the ads that show up in Vogue and other fashion mags..  They show very Androgynes looking young women.   

I have to admit the tall skinny models are more visually appealing for fashion spreads.  I'm not sure if its because I have seen so many pictures that i have been brain washed or if its something I am naturally attracted to.  Don't get me wrong, I would much prefer to date a woman that is more full figured then the fashion models. But for the pictures I take and the pictures I like to look at there is a common theme.  Tall, skinny and young.

Jan 27 07 03:04 am Link

Photographer

miss z

San Francisco, California, US

Mercy Studio wrote:
..More importantly, eyes are also drawn to legs..  The skinnier they are the longer they look, they further they enhance a dress and shoes..

Now what if you have a rather short person, with rather long legs? wink

Jan 27 07 08:00 pm Link

Model

Lesley Campbell

The models are tall and thin becuase it looks good to a wider group of people.  The clothes also just look better, they can wear more things.  Let's face it some things look better on certain body shapes.

Jan 27 07 09:13 pm Link

Model

Leah Michelle

Venice, Florida, US

little apple blossom wrote:
it's totally because I'm biased but I would love to see a show that uses all short models every now and then. even it's a gimmick I don't care. I think there is something special and idealistic about being petite and I think it should be shown off by designer clothes in a runway show.

I didn't read all of the replies after this, but I am pretty sure that in the late 80's and early 90's petite models were actually somewhat common and there was actually a small demand for girls under 5'4!

Jan 27 07 09:25 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

JAY carreon wrote:
You will notice I stated that designers attempt to strike a balance between using visually impressive models who are 5ft. 9ins. tall or more and using the least amount of fabric to execute their designs.

Crucifissa wrote:
Wouldn't it require LESS for a 5'2 model that is thin? I'm not trying to convice anyone, I'm just putting my two cents in a thread on a website. Maybe you should read my entire post before going on a rant about larger models, I'm talking about how its not true that they save fabric using really tall girls to model the clothes. My arguement is not about being thin or not, its about height.

Don't try to make yourself look respectful  when you're the one calling models "dumpy" and "fat."

He adressed your point of a 5'2" model when he said that 5'9" models are "visually impressive". A 5'2" girl doesn't have NEARLY the impact of an amazon woman, and as is stated in the original post, is much harder to see from the back row.

And some models are fat. What's wrong with pointing it out?

Jan 29 07 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Cogito Ergo Zoom

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Lestari wrote:
Im just wishing.. 5 inches taller. neutral

So am I.

Jan 29 07 05:37 pm Link

Model

Lenore Owens

I'm 5'10.5", weigh 128 lbs, 17 years old, dress size 6 which is the maximum dress size. Did the skinny model ban take place or are they still looking for size 0 or 2 models??

Jan 30 07 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

People, get over it! If you are not thin and tall just move on. Find something else to do. Ruway is not for you.

You could start a grass roots campaign to outlaw tall and skinny models but then make sure they make going to fashion shows mandatory. Like jury duty. While you are at it have them outlaw singers that can sing and football players that can play.

There is a runway that everyone can walk, it's called a sidewalk. Do you want to see that at the New York Fashion Week?

Jan 30 07 11:11 pm Link

Model

Nai Indigo

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Virnella wrote:
i bet i can catch more eyes wearing wutever those 5'8 models are wearing even though i'm only 5'0

Congrats, but it's not a competition to see who can get the greatest amount of horny guys gawking and drooling over them; it's supposed to be about the clothes remember?

Mar 28 07 10:48 pm Link

Model

Nai Indigo

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Fotticelli wrote:
People, get over it! If you are not thin and tall just move on. Find something else to do. Ruway is not for you.

You could start a grass roots campaign to outlaw tall and skinny models but then make sure they make going to fashion shows mandatory. Like jury duty. While you are at it have them outlaw singers that can sing and football players that can play.

There is a runway that everyone can walk, it's called a sidewalk. Do you want to see that at the New York Fashion Week?

lol- @ the runway for everybody... "sidewalk"

Mar 28 07 10:50 pm Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

VERY true and well put, Kaitlin.  Fashion is all about the clothes, not the person wearing them.  You want the outfit to catch the eye more than the body that's wearing it.  In that sense, runway models are basically walking clothes hangers. 

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

In general...thinner girls can pull off more styles. You don't have to worry about "Will this dress make her legs look thick?" "Will this top make her belly look poochy?"

There's also another aspect that I don't think most people really consider, but it's something that seems very important to me. Stick shaped models are inherently less sexual looking. If I were on a runway, you wouldn't be looking at my hot rack...you'd be looking at the dress. On a runway, the walk is rather sexy to start...add some womanly curves to that, and the clothes aren't the focus anymore.

Mar 28 07 11:49 pm Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

Actually, I have a few very voluptuous friends and gay guys love to touch the breastesses.  Even the most flamboyant ones, they seem to love boobs!  he he
And the reason a lot of gay guys are involved in fashion is probably because by their nature they tend to be much more artisticly inclined and love many different sectors of the arts.  Typically considered a feminine trait, maybe that is why many designers are gay, but gay guys are a fun bunch!  It's like the best of both worlds!  You've got the buddy you can play sports and do guy things with, but also they can be your shopping buddy, have great sense of style, can do girl talk, and their flamboyant personalities just make them fun!  If you don't have at least one gay guy in your friend circle, you're missing out!  he he

Seregon ODassey wrote:

Mar 28 07 11:58 pm Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

But you can't coach height.  big_smile   j/k j/k.    I love Muggsy! 

SWEETFACE SHOTS wrote:

Some things are skill and some things are looks. Why do people confiuse the 2? If you're good at playing basketball, enough where you spin circles around people, no matter your height, then you have a chance....You have to have the SKILL, you don't need to be tall to be good at all of those examples you've used.

Here you go...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball … egulations

Height
At the professional level, most male players are above 1.90 meters (6 ft 3 in) and most women above 1.70 meters (5 ft 7 in). Guards, for whom physical coordination and ball-handling skills are crucial, tend to be the smallest players. Almost all forwards in the men's pro leagues are 2 meters (6 ft 6 in) or taller. Most centers are over 2.1 meters (6 ft 10.5 in) tall. The tallest players ever in the NBA, Manute Bol and Gheorghe Mureşan, were 2.31 m (7 ft 7 in). The tallest current NBA player is Yao Ming, who stands at 2.29 m (7 ft 6 in).

The shortest player ever to play in the NBA is Muggsy Bogues at 1.60 meters (5 ft 3 in). Other short players have thrived at the pro level. Anthony "Spud" Webb was just 5 feet 7 inches (1.70 m) tall, but had a 42-inch (1.07 m) vertical leap, giving him significant height when jumping. The shortest player in the NBA today is Earl Boykins at 5 feet 5 inches (1.65 m). While shorter players are often not very good at defending against shooting, their ability to navigate quickly through crowded areas of the court and steal the ball by reaching low are strengths.

I'd say 2007 should be for progression of portfolios!
I know I will!

Mar 29 07 12:07 am Link

Photographer

Photography by Martin

Tyler, Minnesota, US

Virnella wrote:

uh huh.. I'm sure you can wink

"wutever"???? wtf is that?

Mar 29 07 12:10 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Virnella wrote:

Photography by Martin wrote:
uh huh.. I'm sure you can wink

"wutever"???? wtf is that?

Hahahahaaa... that's a good one! big_smile

Mar 29 07 01:01 am Link

Photographer

Vida Studios

New York, New York, US

The hight thing is simple, from what some of my designers friend said, they like tall models cause of the way the cloth flow looks very dif, from a short model...2 is 1 size less cost less paying trying to make some for tall models and some for short. and 3 is not about the model, they dont want the model to over power the dress with her beauty they want her to be more like a doll and people focus on the cloth and not how big her ass is or her chest..At the end is all about selling the cloth not the model, the model is more like a walking prop..

Mar 29 07 01:12 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Virnella wrote:

Right. We all think we could do it better. It just aint gonna happen.

Why is there still this reat debate? Nobody is complaining about why doctors have to have degrees or why you have to be a female to work at Victoria's Secret (although I suspect there could be some sort of lawsuit someday resulting from that policy) anyways, point is this is the way things are. Designers have a right to choose who wears their clothes.

Mar 29 07 06:18 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

This is a short bump and the pun is fully intended... big_smile

May 31 07 02:03 am Link

Makeup Artist

Nika Vaughan

Chicago, Illinois, US

Gunfitr wrote:
Likewise if you took some of these stick thin models and put them in some lingerie with their ribs showing, their bones showing, and their little flat asses, you wouldn't sell as much lingerie.
Mark

LOL!  That's an image for you!

May 31 07 04:26 am Link

Makeup Artist

Nika Vaughan

Chicago, Illinois, US

Fotticelli  wrote:
There is a runway that everyone can walk, it's called a sidewalk.

LMAO!! Hil-ar-i-ous!!

May 31 07 04:29 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

UdoR wrote:
This is a short bump and the pun is fully intended... big_smile

I can only imagine the "short" designer and the "tall" model, pictured in your OP, together in a lesbian embrace... It creates a mind picture from which I can not escape.

Udo... what have you wrought? You have somehow brought out the worst in me. LOL

Studio36

May 31 07 05:40 am Link

Photographer

Niki B

UdoR wrote:
The second image shows her walking behind her models, wearing her designs... this shows how funny it would look like if you put a short model into the mix.

I think by using only average height girls it would not be different if they are all the same height wink

UdoR wrote:
The third image is from the show of the designer Chado Ralph Rucci. I shot this image for the purpose of demonstrating the size of the showrooms at major fashion shows... and why very tall models are mandatory, so that the audience far away are able to see the model and the garment she's presenting.

For this purpose in the Greek theatre they used super high platform shoes and masks but they were much farther from the audience than 5 -10 rows. Regular theatre has solved this problem too by raising a stage so everyone can see it.wink

UdoR wrote:
In short (pun unintended wink ), there is a very practical reason WHY runway models have to be tall!

Agencies like to sign models that are versatile and can be used for many different applications..., the more a model is limited (height in this case), the more is the earning capacity limited for the agencies.

It all boils down to economics!

I believe a nice proportional short girl if that was the fashion could be just as versatile if we have only short girls as models and the tall ones above a certain hight would not fit the requirement.I mean if it was all the way around. But since trends are set and not changing  that is why the short models fall out. Also if a girl is size 2 and short she may appear bigger the girl who is size 2 but 5'11". Obviously long dresses would not look that good on the shorter girl either. I think if our fashion trends would start to change a bit towards to average sized women and designers would start to design clothes that looks good on that body type as well we may change the runway models look too.

All the best,

Niki B.

May 31 07 06:06 am Link

Model

Ermine

Chicago, Illinois, US

Mandy McKeating wrote:

ya, my question does not come from sour grapes, simply curiosity.

i know, too, that designers tend to make clothes in a sample size for shows, but my point is why is it that size? is there something that makes the clothes look that much better?

Maybe they're just cheap and they don't want to spend a lot of money on fabric.

May 31 07 10:25 am Link

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Mandy McKeating wrote:
not trying to start shit, just playing devil's advocate...

i understand the height thing, but why do they have to be stick figures? what makes a size 0-2 model carry the clothes better than, say, a size 4-6 model, assuming both are of the same height?

the majority of designers want "hangers" on their runways.
i understand this for fashion-but when i see a walking skeleton in a lingerie or swimsuit show-it makes me a little ill.

May 31 07 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Jason Fassnacht

Sacramento, California, US

... UUgghhh ... PEOPLE ...

There is one REALLY, REALLY simple scientific fact why they use such TALL-SKINNY-PEOPLE to sport their wears on the Cat Walk ... & I've NEVER seen anyone mention it at all in any of these threads.

Probably cause non Ya'lls are Designers !!!

When one goes to school to learn the elements of Design ... ANY kinda DESIGN ... Architecture, Landscaping, Jewlery, Comic Books, Graphic Arts, Typography, Web Site, Illuistration, Animation, Classical Figure-Portrait-Landscape-Cloudscape, Photo-Graphics, Oil, Acrilic, Aqua Colour, Stonelithography, Silk Screening, Textiles, Sculpture & FASHION ...

Before you get to Color ...

Before you get to Texture ...

Before you get to do anything that has anything to do with what you're gonna do ... YOUR Vision, YOUR Style, YOUR *WHY* as an Artist ...

You have to be drilled with & absorb & passionately master the fundamentals of a 40,000 year old Visual Science.

And one of the MOST BASIC rules OF that science is ...

"If you want to make a BOLD statement ? Use a THICK *Line*."

"If you want to make an ELEGANT statement ? Use a THIN *Line*."

That is just one of thee most basic reasons to use such a TALL person for the modeling of their Designs.

One of the other reasons being that girls that are 5'10"-6'0"-6'3" without heels !!! With devestating bone structures are a straight spectical to behold.

You Rarely EVER-EVER see something that in a regular daytime experience.

Super TALL Models command attention without having to do anything but WALK or STAND ... with a pure love ya'll ... they are basically just Freaks of Nature & what those High Fashion Shows ARE are nothing short of a Freakin'Rich Persons Ego Circus.

The Money that they want for their Designs - The Famousnous of the just the audience - The combined Talents of ALL involved - The Unbelievable COST of a "High Fashion Show" - The Rate$ that the 5'10"-6'5" Models command per show - Plus how much of a "Flash in the Pan" each experience REALLY IS ???

How quickly Fashion trends are looked down upon & how quickly the "IN" look goes "OUT" of style ???

For ALL the Hype, Money & ALL the Glam ???

Kinda just makes makes me love the Classical Nude all that much more.

big_smile

J.

"IT IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT TO BE AWARE, THEN IT IS WHAT YOU WEAR."
~ Giorgio Armani ~

May 31 07 01:32 pm Link

Model

Jackalin

Holiday, Florida, US

Hm, good question. I'm very petite ( 5"0 90 lb.) and have no such delusions. But hey if that ant wants to try to move that rubber tree plant who am I to criticize lol!

May 31 07 01:36 pm Link