Forums > Model Colloquy > Why runway shows need tall models:

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

UdoR wrote:
This is a short bump and the pun is fully intended... big_smile

studio36uk wrote:
I can only imagine the "short" designer and the "tall" model, pictured in your OP, together in a lesbian embrace... It creates a mind picture from which I can not escape.

Udo... what have you wrought? You have somehow brought out the worst in me. LOL

Studio36

Hmmmm... nice!!! big_smile

May 31 07 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

UdoR wrote:
The third image is from the show of the designer Chado Ralph Rucci. I shot this image for the purpose of demonstrating the size of the showrooms at major fashion shows... and why very tall models are mandatory, so that the audience far away are able to see the model and the garment she's presenting.

Niki B wrote:
For this purpose in the Greek theatre they used super high platform shoes and masks but they were much farther from the audience than 5 -10 rows. Regular theatre has solved this problem too by raising a stage so everyone can see it.wink

Yeah... that would help many selfconscious models to become mentally more stable because they now too can be "recognized" as glamorous high fashion runway models.

There is just a thing that you completely overlook:

Runway Modeling is NOT about the  Model or the Model's EGO... it's about the product!

BTW... if you look at the photo of the Chado Ralph Rucci show... it does have "stadium" seating...

Niki B wrote:
I believe a nice proportional short girl if that was the fashion could be just as versatile...

You are also free to believe that you have been abducted and crossed with alien DNA and have telepathic contact to underground living reptiloid colony on Mars.

It doesn't matter what you believe and how much you like to hold on to the belief...

All the best to you as well!

May 31 07 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Jason Fassnacht wrote:
... UUgghhh ... PEOPLE ...

There is one REALLY, REALLY simple scientific fact why they use such TALL-SKINNY-PEOPLE to sport their wears on the Cat Walk ... & I've NEVER seen anyone mention it at all in any of these threads.

Thanks a lot for your contribution Jason!

May 31 07 02:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

brown_sugar24 wrote:
everything looks better on tall, thin people, except overalls. Only short people and babies look good in those.

I could not disagree more.

May 31 07 02:18 pm Link

Model

Carlyn Brook

Jersey City, New Jersey, US

That picture is not of a short model, it is of Chloe, who was a DESIGNER on Project Runway. She's only like 5ft tall.

May 31 07 02:28 pm Link

Model

Carlyn Brook

Jersey City, New Jersey, US

Ok, just read the post, and I realized that you did specify that she is a designer, however if ALL of the models in a runway show were short, the height thing wouldn't be an issue. There wouldn't be a comparison, so it wouldn't look wierd. If a whole runway show consisted of Models who were 5'5'' and very thin, wearing heels, nobody would know the difference from a distance.

May 31 07 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Carlyn E wrote:
Ok, just read the post, and I realized that you did specify that she is a designer, however if ALL of the models in a runway show were short, the height thing wouldn't be an issue. There wouldn't be a comparison, so it wouldn't look wierd. If a whole runway show consisted of Models who were 5'5'' and very thin, wearing heels, nobody would know the difference from a distance.

International sample sizes in the garment industry anybody?

roll

May 31 07 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

HerbP

Winter Springs, Florida, US

Monika Marciczkiewicz wrote:
Kate moss does it, and they accept her, and she is only 5'6"... I know the story behind it though... but still she is fairly short for her market. I am just curious as to why it doesn't bother people.

Only 4% of fashion models are shorter than 5'8". Kate Moss falls in this category. There has to be some really extra special facet about a shorter model that permits her to break into the fashion modeling world.

May 31 07 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

HerbP wrote:
Only 4% of fashion models are shorter than 5'8". Kate Moss falls in this category. There has to be some really extra special facet about a shorter model that permits her to break into the fashion modeling world.

She can get all the dust off the runway using only her nose?

Studio36

May 31 07 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Maki

Tallahassee, Florida, US

UdoR wrote:
Originally posted on February 11, 2006, revised on January 24, 2007

Since this question seems constantly to come up, I did some extra shots at this current Fashion Week (Fall 2006 Collection) here in New York City (with the purpose of doing an informative thread on my own... soon... but here's the "preview").

The girl in image 1 and 2 is NOT a model, she's one of the finalist designers for "Project Runway", I shot the show on Friday morning... and thought that this is an excellent example for showing the visual effect of "short models" mixed with tall, high fashion models.

The first shows her alone, she's is somewhere around 5'2" and  has actually a pretty face.

The second image shows her walking behind her models, wearing her designs... this shows how funny it would look like if you put a short model into the mix.

The third image is from the show of the designer Chado Ralph Rucci. I shot this image for the purpose of demonstrating the size of the showrooms at major fashion shows... and why very tall models are mandatory, so that the audience far away are able to see the model and the garment she's presenting.

There are actually a few more rows... but I would have cut out the model... and it was necessary for me to demonstrate the room and the model.

In short (pun unintended wink ), there is a very practical reason WHY runway models have to be tall!

Agencies like to sign models that are versatile and can be used for many different applications..., the more a model is limited (height in this case), the more is the earning capacity limited for the agencies.

It all boils down to economics!

Short "model", finalist of Project Runway, could "pass on her own, if a tad slimmer, but(!)...
https://udorphotography.com/imglib/27Variety/ModelHeights01.jpg

... here is the "short model" in comparison to regular runway models... looks funny, doesn't it?!
https://udorphotography.com/imglib/27Variety/ModelHeights02.jpg

Putting height and major fashion show in perspective... Would the garment on a five foot model be seen by the fashionistas in the remote seats?
https://udorphotography.com/imglib/27Variety/ModelHeights03.jpg

a photo is worth a 1,000 words smile

May 31 07 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

ebbh

Interesting topic.

My personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. I hold high fashion as top of the modeling scale, therefore high fashion would use top models. Top models are tall and skinny. This is the perfect human form in my eyes. I don't look though a "mens" mag and say wow, shes gorgeous, but I do look through high fashion mags and books and say wow. These high fashion models are what I call perfect human form and it's what I'd want to see wear really good clothes, and what I want to shoot as I try to be a photograpgher.

May 31 07 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Matt wrote:
if you're too lazy to eat properly and hit the gym...
or if your genetics are HONESTLY getting in the way of hitting the dress
size they want...

PICK A DIFFERENT PROFESSION!

Stupid people don't get to be neuro surgeons (bad example, I know),
and people who aren't thin and tall don't get to be models

crap. I knew there was a reason I'm not a doctor.

Jun 01 07 01:53 am Link

Model

Whisper

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

as a 5'6 model i would love to be a runway model it has always been my dream bt facts are facts. i'm just not tall enough to do so. i may be a size 3 but they dont make the clothes for shorter models there made for tall skinny models,
fact: there not gonna go out of there way to hem and cut and shrink there works of art just to fit a shorter model.
so as much as i wan tto be a runway model
and as much as all shorter models complain about how and why they do this
theres a reason for everything so stop bitching about it and live with it
there are many different types of modeling.
everyone does not have to be a runway model.

whisper

Jun 01 07 03:14 am Link

Photographer

SpoXemodel of Las Vegas

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Why runway shows need tall models?

Tall photographers.

Jun 01 07 03:20 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

Mandy McKeating wrote:
not trying to start shit, just playing devil's advocate...

i understand the height thing, but why do they have to be stick figures? what makes a size 0-2 model carry the clothes better than, say, a size 4-6 model, assuming both are of the same height?

Because tall, slender women can either look elegant, light and airy or imposing, goddess-like, Amazon-like - this is totally aside from the fact that clothing samples are made to fit tall, slim models.  Get over it!

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Jun 01 07 03:20 am Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

Can anyone tell where the model line ends and where the designer line begins?
https://images8.fotki.com/v140/photos/1/156060/4891228/704271084N-vi.jpg

Does anyone seriously think this dress will look good on a 5' 3" model?
https://images112.fotki.com/v586/photos/1/156060/4891228/704270990N-vi.jpg

How would this Zac Posen gown look on a short model instead of on Gemma Ward standing at 5' 10".
https://images21.fotki.com/v632/photos/1/156060/4728423/70315752-vi.jpg

Alek Wek towering in at 5' 11"
https://images22.fotki.com/v754/photos/1/156060/4728423/70315717-vi.jpg

Jun 01 07 05:39 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Yvette Wesley

Chicago, Illinois, US

PYPI wrote:
Can anyone tell where the model line ends and where the designer line begins?
https://images8.fotki.com/v140/photos/1/156060/4891228/704271084N-vi.jpg

Does anyone seriously think this dress will look good on a 5' 3" model?
https://images112.fotki.com/v586/photos/1/156060/4891228/704270990N-vi.jpg

How would this Zac Posen gown look on a short model instead of on Gemma Ward standing at 5' 10".
https://images21.fotki.com/v632/photos/1/156060/4728423/70315752-vi.jpg

Alek Wek towering in at 5' 11"
https://images22.fotki.com/v754/photos/1/156060/4728423/70315717-vi.jpg

I completely agree with all this, being a designer.  I prefer to use tall, slender models for runway because that's the sample size that I make from my dress form.  And seeing a tall slender evening gown flow on a taller model is more breathing taking then on shorter models (btw I am only 5' like Chloe from PR).  I think models 5'6" and shorter are great for print (if they know how to work with angles to make them appear taller)

just my 2 cents...but who cares

Jun 01 07 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Zebadiah _MI

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

jade83 wrote:
In that case, I'm a total hottie!!

Yes, Yes, you are.

Jun 03 07 02:18 am Link

Model

kayyla

New York, New York, US

Crucifissa wrote:
Someone mentioned less fabric...wouldn't it take MORE fabric to design a dress for someone who is 5'9, than someone who is 5'2? Thats 7 inches in fabric! I hate the excuse that people use, "Models have to be skinny to save fabric expenses." Thats such bullshit.

YES THATS WHAT I DONT GET I THINK PEOPLE ARE JUST STUCK INTO THAT IMAGE AND ALSO!!!! ISNT EASIER FOR SHORTER PEOPLE TO STAY THIN THAN TALL PEOPLE A USUAL GIRL THATS 5'2 USUALLY HER NORMAL WEIGHT WOULD BE OF ABOUT 104 OR 105 AND USUALLY ARE USUALLY ONLY A SIZE 3-0 THINK ABOUT THAT ......

Jun 04 07 01:46 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Crucifissa wrote:
Someone mentioned less fabric...wouldn't it take MORE fabric to design a dress for someone who is 5'9, than someone who is 5'2? Thats 7 inches in fabric! I hate the excuse that people use, "Models have to be skinny to save fabric expenses." Thats such bullshit.

kayyla wrote:
YES THATS WHAT I DONT GET I THINK PEOPLE ARE JUST STUCK INTO THAT IMAGE AND ALSO!!!! ISNT EASIER FOR SHORTER PEOPLE TO STAY THIN THAN TALL PEOPLE A USUAL GIRL THATS 5'2 USUALLY HER NORMAL WEIGHT WOULD BE OF ABOUT 104 OR 105 AND USUALLY ARE USUALLY ONLY A SIZE 3-0 THINK ABOUT THAT ......

Do you guys REALLY think that Giorgio Armani or Caroline Herrera are really counting the pennies they'd safe if they design their dresses for shorter models using less fabric to present on a 20 minutes fashion show that may cost them 3/4 of a Million Dollars to produce?

If so, I have a really good investment for you, there is a bridge between Manhattan and Brooklyn that I could sell you. If you act fast, I have some beach front property in Montana which is a really hot commodity.

Jun 04 07 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

HerbP

Winter Springs, Florida, US

A lot more material may be needed than the absolute minimum required for a single dress. The fabric is cut using the designer sketches and is used to pin an outfit on a mannequin. Whoops! the designer doesn't like what he/she sees. The outfit must be longer. More material is cut to fit the new design. Now the designer decides that the outfit should not be sleeveless. More material is cut for the new design. Hmm. The designer is pleased, but the outfit needs a matching vest. More material is cut. Wow! This is going to sell, but a couple of variations on the theme will give the buyers more options. More material is cut for alternate outfits. The whole process may take several iterations.

Meanwhile, the designer has zero urge to go to the material section of Walmart to buy a few yards of a nice print. This is a very important show, outfits may well go for hundreds or thousands of dollars and the buyers are not going to be impressed with so-so material. The designer has a manufacturer that supplies the new, yet to be introduced to the market material that has been the inspiration and conceptual basis of the design, but since they are not a retailer, they only sell material wholesale by the bolt. Consequently, I suspect that the minimum material buy by the designer is a bolt.

Jun 04 07 08:57 pm Link

Model

Samantha Ceora

Los Angeles, California, US

Short/overweight models look bad on the runway period. end of story.
That's just the way it is.
If you're under 5'9" you do other types of modeling. If you want to do certain hip hop or fetish runway etc. you don't have to be so tall but it's much less pull with those shows. (less important unknown designers)
I don't think it's about looking like a hanger either.
If they wanted a fucking hanger they'd use a hanger.
When does a garment look good on a hanger anyways? barely ever compared to how good it looks on.
I think height effects the impact and thin increases appearance of height.
Runway girls have to be pretty as well, they're job is to make the clothes look better than they are.
Not let the clothes just "hang" on them.

Jun 05 07 08:05 pm Link

Model

Fedora el Morro

Seattle, Washington, US

I just have a hard time believing that everyone who buys the clothes are model stature and frame.
Real sized women need clothes. I want to know how that shit is going to look on my five 2, size 2.

Jun 06 07 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Fedora El Morro wrote:
I just have a hard time believing that everyone who buys the clothes are model stature and frame.
Real sized women need clothes. I want to know how that shit is going to look on my five 2, size 2.

Oh my... roll

I am not sure if you know this... apparently NOT, but the clothes that you see on the runway at NY Fashion Week can not be bought in the stores at that time.

It's a presentation of a TREND for the next season... and it's shown to the fashionistas, e.g. the buyers (for department stores such as Sak's 5th, Bloomingdales and even JC Penney) and fashion editors for magazines like Vogue etc. and other related industries who make a decision on what they like and THAT is determining which garments are going to be put into mass production for ALL SIZES of women!

If you want "to know how that shit is going to look on [your] five 2, size 2." you've go to do what the rest of the clothes buying population of the world does:

Step 1: Take a look at the catalog or online version, where the final version of the garment is showing on an average catalog model (commercial model).

Step 2: Go to the store that carries that dress.

Step 3: Select a dress that has your size.

Step 4: Put it on.

Step 5: Look into the friggin' mirror and turn slightly for a back view, and you find out how that shit is looking on your 5'2, size 2 frame!

It's really just 5 easy steps that are habitually practiced by half a billion people a year, who "want to know how that shit is going to look on [them]", world wide.

Jun 06 07 02:58 pm Link

Model

Elle

Marshfield, Wisconsin, US

UdoR wrote:

Oh my... roll

I am not sure if you know this... apparently NOT, but the clothes that you see on the runway at NY Fashion Week can not be bought in the stores at that time.

It's a presentation of a TREND for the next season... and it's shown to the fashionistas, e.g. the buyers (for department stores such as Sak's 5th, Bloomingdales and even JC Penney) and fashion editors for magazines like Vogue etc. and other related industries who make a decision on what they like and THAT is determining which garments are going to be put into mass production for ALL SIZES of women!

If you want "to know how that shit is going to look on [your] five 2, size 2." you've go to do what the rest of the clothes buying population of the world does:

Step 1: Take a look at the catalog or online version, where the final version of the garment is showing on an average catalog model (commercial model).

Step 2: Go to the store that carries that dress.

Step 3: Select a dress that has your size.

Step 4: Put it on.

Step 5: Look into the friggin' mirror and turn slightly for a back view!

It's really just 5 easy steps that are habitually practiced by half a billion people a year, world wide.

i say that we should just all agree with UdoR...
He know all :-D
Stop arguing and just freaking listen...
He just kinda knows what he is talking about...:-D
You know, just a lil bit...

Jun 06 07 03:02 pm Link

Model

Tiffany L Rogers

Atlanta, Georgia, US

UdoR wrote:
Originally posted on February 11, 2006, revised on January 24, 2007

Since this question seems constantly to come up, I did some extra shots at this current Fashion Week (Fall 2006 Collection) here in New York City (with the purpose of doing an informative thread on my own... soon... but here's the "preview").

The girl in image 1 and 2 is NOT a model, she's one of the finalist designers for "Project Runway", I shot the show on Friday morning... and thought that this is an excellent example for showing the visual effect of "short models" mixed with tall, high fashion models.

The first shows her alone, she's is somewhere around 5'2" and  has actually a pretty face.

The second image shows her walking behind her models, wearing her designs... this shows how funny it would look like if you put a short model into the mix.

There are actually a few more rows... but I would have cut out the model... and it was necessary for me to demonstrate the room and the model.

In short (pun unintended wink ), there is a very practical reason WHY runway models have to be tall!

Agencies like to sign models that are versatile and can be used for many different applications..., the more a model is limited (height in this case), the more is the earning capacity limited for the agencies.

It all boils down to economics!

Short "model", finalist of Project Runway, could "pass on her own, if a tad slimmer, but(!)...
https://udorphotography.com/imglib/27Variety/ModelHeights01.jpg

... here is the "short model" in comparison to regular runway models... looks funny, doesn't it?!
https://udorphotography.com/imglib/27Variety/ModelHeights02.jpg

Putting height and major fashion show in perspective... Would the garment on a five foot model be seen by the fashionistas in the remote seats?
https://udorphotography.com/imglib/27Variety/ModelHeights03.jpg

I see what you mean, but Shes 5'2!! Im not 5'8 Im 5'6.5 and actually dont look it (with heels Im set). I have long legs so that makes me look taller. I wear a size 2 aside from dresses so why do I keep hearing I CANT do runway and fashion. Cuz I'm an inch and a half off?? I am sooooo not trying to hear that. Im tired of hearing Im too short!!! Ugh

Jun 06 07 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

Miss Page Six wrote:

I see what you mean, but Shes 5'2!! Im not 5'8 Im 5'6.5 and actually dont look it (with heels Im set). I have long legs so that makes me look taller. I wear a size 2 aside from dresses so why do I keep hearing I CANT do runway and fashion. Cuz I'm an inch and a half off?? I am sooooo not trying to hear that. Im tired of hearing Im too short!!! Ugh

you can't be serious now are you?

Jun 06 07 03:57 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Miss Page Six wrote:

Height aside, at 24 you're too old.

Jun 06 07 03:59 pm Link

Model

Tiffany L Rogers

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Imajin Studios wrote:

you can't be serious now are you?

I posted it didnt I

Jun 06 07 04:09 pm Link

Model

Tiffany L Rogers

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Envy wrote:

Im really just asking but how old do I look?

Jun 06 07 04:10 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Envy wrote:

Miss Page Six wrote:
Im really just asking but how old do I look?

If I had to guess without current knowledge of your age, I'd say between 22-24.

Jun 06 07 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

Miss Page Six wrote:

I posted it didnt I

no disrespect miss, but at 5'6" aged 24 yrs old you will never be a high fashion model doing any prominent runway shows, you might score some shows on the local market, but nothing major, i mean chicago has a fashion week don't they, did you try casting for that?

Jun 06 07 04:15 pm Link

Model

Tiffany L Rogers

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Envy wrote:

Envy wrote:

If I had to guess without current knowledge of your age, I'd say between 22-24.

That may be the 1st time anybody has said I catually look my age. Heeeyy now! I always get 18? Whats up with that?

Jun 06 07 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

on another note you do have great features and look for commercial print, if i were you i would focus on that

Jun 06 07 04:16 pm Link

Model

Tiffany L Rogers

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Imajin Studios wrote:

no disrespect miss, but at 5'6" aged 24 yrs old you will never be a high fashion model doing any prominent runway shows, you might score some shows on the local market, but nothing major, i mean chicago has a fashion week don't they, did you try casting for that?

Chicago just started having Fahsion Week. I believe Naomi Campbell headed up that operation, but at the time I was in the hospital and not capable of walking anybodies runway sad I was sad.

Jun 06 07 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Taverner Photography

Pasadena, California, US

Romina Lanero (IMG) looking tall - really tall.  6'1"

https://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i210/Taverner_Photography/45ba510c90482.jpg

wink

Jun 06 07 04:18 pm Link

Model

Tiffany L Rogers

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Imajin Studios wrote:
on another note you do have great features and look for commercial print, if i were you i would focus on that

Thank You. OKay so let me ask you all this. Why is it Eva Pigford who stands at 5'6 and Jaslene Gonzalez who also stands at 5'6 can do runway? Dont believe the hype they are not as tall as the show depicts. Trust, I know this for a fact

Jun 06 07 04:20 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Miss Page Six wrote:

That may be the 1st time anybody has said I catually look my age. Heeeyy now! I always get 18? Whats up with that?

I'm basing my age assessment off of your pictures, in person you may look entirely different. *shrug*

Jun 06 07 04:21 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Miss Page Six wrote:

Thank You. OKay so let me ask you all this. Why is it Eva Pigford who stands at 5'6 and Jaslene Gonzalez who also stands at 5'6 can do runway? Dont believe the hype they are not as tall as the show depicts. Trust, I know this for a fact

Short answer, they were made famous by appearing on ANTM.

Jun 06 07 04:24 pm Link

Model

Tiffany L Rogers

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Envy wrote:
Short answer, they were made famous by appearing on ANTM.

EXACTLY, but that just proves my point. DONT tell me that 5'6 simply CANNOT do runway and its already being done. Trust me MM, You all WILL be seeing me. Mark my words ;o)

Jun 06 07 04:27 pm Link