This thread was locked on 2009-10-19 11:34:21
Forums > General Industry > Pictures for commercial print models

Model

Dan B

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

bump. Because then it's easier for me to find when I go to read it for the... ::counts on fingers:: 7th time.

(I loves me some search function)

Apr 17 07 06:58 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

*bump*

big_smile

Apr 20 07 12:08 am Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

Post hidden on Oct 19, 2009 01:37 pm
Reason: other
Comments:
DMCA Notice Filed.

Apr 21 07 11:31 am Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

Time for a bump.

May 31 07 03:19 am Link

Photographer

Jason P Hunt

Kansas City, Missouri, US

MurphyMurphy Studios wrote:

Jason.... lets not confuse the terms.... "working for a newpaper" is not "commercial work" in the context of this thread..

I guess I'm using the term improperly. I'm used to thinking "commercial" in terms of advertising, since I'm in TV.
To clarify: I supposed I'm thinking more along the lines of the ads in the papers and magazines. Now, with mags, I'm sure the primary contact is going to be the art director. And I realize a lot of newspaper ads are put together on the outside by graphic artists and ad agencies. Hmm... newspapers may not be the best first attempt.

So, if I'm going to approach an ad agency...

May 31 07 09:54 am Link

Model

Heidi Michelle

Great advice.

Love Heidi xxx xx xxx

May 31 07 12:47 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Jun 25 07 12:00 pm Link

Model

Betsy - Plus Model

North Oaks, Minnesota, US

Just found this through a link in another thread.  Awesome.

Jul 01 07 01:27 am Link

Model

Stacey Lee

San Francisco, California, US

"lifestlye"

gettyimages.com, istockphoto.com

Jul 01 07 03:31 am Link

Model

Christina Smiles

Chicago, Illinois, US

thanks for the advice.  with my height, unwillingness to go nude, and theater background, commercial seems the best route for me

~christina

Jul 03 07 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

a bump just for fun.

Aug 28 07 06:18 am Link

Model

Bridgettt

New York, New York, US

Fantastic thread. This should be a sticky.

Sep 19 07 02:39 pm Link

Model

MaLynda Larsh

North Augusta, South Carolina, US

what an awsome and truly helpful thread!

Sep 19 07 03:37 pm Link

Model

Donna Swinson

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

Michael McGowan wrote:
One of the reasons i know there aren't any agencies worth being called that near me is that the model books from the locals all look like the list of mistakes offered by the OP.

A main reason that REAL commercial print portfolio pictures are usually not available as TFP is that there's a lot of work to do them right. But photographers generally don't get to "show off," either. This is where the needs of a photographer's portfolio and a model's diverge.

Any picture that looks like a photographic tour de force is probably not useful. But clients like to see the wow factor in a photographer's portfolio. So, it's smart to find a commercial shooter and pay him or her if you have to to get the clean, clear shots needed.

Oh, and headshots are also vital for actors. One of the most accomplished (and well-paid) photographers in Hollywood does almost nothing but headshots. He'll do actor AND commercial stuff.

Good luck to all those trying to develop commercial print ports. That may be the most challenging of all the portfolios to get right. Having a good agency to direct the development, of course, would be best.

The GURU of Photography, I needed this info.

Thanks a Million

Sep 19 07 03:41 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Yes, but only on tuesdays in May.

Oct 03 07 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Oct 31 07 01:56 pm Link

Model

Ashely Anne

Banning, California, US

this helped so much as i was told to divide my port into fun and artistic and commercial but none of my photos seem commercial and i know i have photos like these so lets try it again

this should totally be stickied

Nov 21 07 12:49 am Link

Photographer

SunArcher Photography

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Bumping.

Nov 25 07 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Imagemakersphoto

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

Glad to see a great thread on commercial photography. That is what I do and I have been slammed here on MM for my images not being "Fashion". Many of my images here are from commercial jobs. Some of the models are freelance and others from several agencies here in Minnesota.

Just read through the whole post and there is LOTS of great info here and thanks to TX for the post.

Nov 26 07 12:28 pm Link

Model

SteveLMoore

al-Qālah, aţ-Ţarif, Algeria

Great read

Dec 02 07 03:51 am Link

Photographer

NoFriends310

Los Angeles, California, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Finally, although most of the time the friendly, happy, approachable shot is desirable, there are times when you need to do something different.  I did this shot for a character model who used it to great success:

https://www.txphotog.com/Posts/Matty.jpg

Didnt bother reading the rest of this thread but isnt that the guy from "Devils Rejects"?

Dec 17 07 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Wayne Cutler

Los Angeles, California, US

TX, thanks so much.  Very informative thread for photographers as well.

Dec 18 07 06:06 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Bump.

Dec 20 07 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

WhoYouAre

Aurora, Illinois, US

MelissaLynnette LaDiva wrote:
Bump.

Thanks for bumping this. I never would have found this if you didn't. The best thread I have seen on MM so far.

Dec 20 07 04:57 pm Link

Model

Ashley Crabtree Mammano

Seattle, Washington, US

This was such a helpful post! I have so much more knowledge and ideas to execute! And bump smile

Dec 27 07 02:44 am Link

Photographer

Henri3

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

TXPhotog wrote:
I did.  It's called www.newmodels.com smile

Lifestyle-commercial images typically make me gag, but the info is very welcome & very useful.
I'm ordering your book today, time i did. And got straight info about all this, with illustrations.

Dec 27 07 02:44 pm Link

Model

Promogurl

Seattle, Washington, US

Thank you for reposting this. I have been having a hard time making the transition from promotional modeling to print modeling.. and it seems like commercial print modeling is where I'm heading.

Especially the line about everyday people- but just a little better looking... that is exactly the kind of promotional work I get.. hehehehehe .. its amazing what companies look for in "average" people that they want representing them.
I know* I know* lets just have a beautiful but avereage person pretend to work for us.. and then everyone will buy it.... I guess the same theory applies in commercial modeling.

beautiful people sell cell phones.

After reading *most* of this I have a better idea of what commercial is and how I can better my portfolio before I approach some agencies next year. 
Once again- Thank you.
Now I need to find a dog to take a picture with.

Dec 27 07 03:11 pm Link

Model

Shellane Demarest

Orlando, Florida, US

This is probably the most informative thread I've ever read on this site. Thank you so much.

Dec 30 07 12:49 pm Link

Model

SuzLyons

Coronado, California, US

Ahhhh... I'm going to start a worship site to TXPhotog.  :-)  He knows he's one of my favorites on MM because he's always so direct with the logic and common sense (which, unfortunately, is not as common as it should be).  Newbies please listen to him!!  I wish I'd known him when I was first starting out!

Thanks for posting this!  Follows nicely with Pinup Kristen's question over in Model Matters (and you thought I wasn't paying attention, TX).  ;-)

Dec 30 07 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I miss Tx.

Jan 22 08 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Blue Ash Film Group

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Dave Wright Photo SF wrote:
I miss Tx.

Definitely agree!

Jan 22 08 10:24 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

I miss Tx.

I miss him more than you do.  tongue

Jan 22 08 10:25 pm Link

Model

_Blip_

Tampa, Florida, US

I miss Tx.

Me too!

Jan 23 08 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

And this is the kind of information we will no longer garner because of what the forums and this site has become. Anyone that says he or any of the other pros that have left can be replaced just needs to read the information in this thread to know otherwise.

Jan 23 08 06:56 pm Link

Model

_Blip_

Tampa, Florida, US

Christopher Wright wrote:
And this is the kind of information we will no longer garner because of what the forums and this site has become. Anyone that says he or any of the other pros that have left can be replaced just needs to read the information in this thread to know otherwise.

I wholeheartedly agree!

Jan 23 08 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

This is very correct.

Jan 23 08 08:24 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Please stay on topic to the thread.

Bumping in fine but stay on topic please.

This is a great thread and will should remain so.

Thanks,

Mhana moderator.

Jan 26 08 01:32 am Link

Model

Shellane Demarest

Orlando, Florida, US

Imagemakersphoto wrote:
Glad to see a great thread on commercial photography. That is what I do and I have been slammed here on MM for my images not being "Fashion". Many of my images here are from commercial jobs. Some of the models are freelance and others from several agencies here in Minnesota.

Just read through the whole post and there is LOTS of great info here and thanks to TX for the post.

Agreed! Thanks for doing what you do! I hope to work with more commercial photographers soon.

Jan 26 08 09:45 am Link

Model

MiMi Marie

Chicago, Illinois, US

Michael McGowan wrote:
One of the reasons i know there aren't any agencies worth being called that near me is that the model books from the locals all look like the list of mistakes offered by the OP.

A main reason that REAL commercial print portfolio pictures are usually not available as TFP is that there's a lot of work to do them right. But photographers generally don't get to "show off," either. This is where the needs of a photographer's portfolio and a model's diverge.

Any picture that looks like a photographic tour de force is probably not useful. But clients like to see the wow factor in a photographer's portfolio. So, it's smart to find a commercial shooter and pay him or her if you have to to get the clean, clear shots needed.

Oh, and headshots are also vital for actors. One of the most accomplished (and well-paid) photographers in Hollywood does almost nothing but headshots. He'll do actor AND commercial stuff.

Good luck to all those trying to develop commercial print ports. That may be the most challenging of all the portfolios to get right. Having a good agency to direct the development, of course, would be best.

Jan 26 08 09:47 am Link

Model

MiMi Marie

Chicago, Illinois, US

This is great information, especially for a new model like myself whom is trying to find her niche in the world.

Jan 26 08 09:49 am Link