Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

DJ
I calibrated my monitor last night (I think it was last night?).  Anyway, I could see some light dots and horizontal lines in the background that were distracting to me.  I have to say that I brought the image into PS and raised the brightness level to try and make out what it was.  Looked like tall wine racks or french bread racks.  Could not quit tell, but I would rather have had them lit more or darkened so as not to see anything but a black background.  I may not have noticed them at all if it had not been for those few white dots that caught my attention in the first place.
As for changing you jandj logo, I see no point to confusing people who have known your work as that for so many years.
Hell, I have trouble keeping track of myself on this site.

***Anybody from the list have any questions about why their image from Friday did or did not receive the votes you thought it would?

Jan 04 08 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

Freeing up space
where the old list use to be.

Jan 04 08 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

The Story of O

TALMOON, Minnesota, US

I'm not going to make any rules that don't already exist for this site, as I hate rules, but I think it would be wise if we do not critique images that are still up for voting.  If we wait and talk about them after the bell rings we will not influence others that have not yet voted.

Jan 05 08 12:01 am Link

Photographer

jandj studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Confidential Photo wrote:
I'm not going to make any rules that don't already exist for this site, as I hate rules, but I think it would be wise if we do not critique images that are still up for voting.  If we wait and talk about them after the bell rings we will not influence others that have not yet voted.

i agree

Jan 05 08 12:11 am Link

Photographer

PHOTO dw

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Hi peeps. Wanna say sorry for not submitting or voting in the contest tonight but I have decided to leave MM forever because I feel like you are all dragging me down with your amateurish photos and sophomoric blather.

...for just one minute I had you, right?? lol. I'm kidding of course. *hides* Sorry about that but after the evening I've had I needed a laugh.

I have been down all evening with a nasty ass COMPUTER virus. I just got back online so I missed the entire thing.

Nancy, congratulations on winning tonight! That is way cool! I haven't even had a chance to look through the entries yet. Soooo...I will go check them out here in a few.

Jan 05 08 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

PHOTO dw wrote:
... nasty ass virus.

Well, if it stays in your ass and doesn't get up into your chest and head it probably won't affect you much.
Did miss your work tonight though.

Jan 05 08 01:10 am Link

Photographer

Nancy Wishard

Fallbrook, California, US

PHOTO dw wrote:
Hi peeps. Wanna say sorry for not submitting or voting in the contest tonight but I have decided to leave MM forever because I feel like you are all dragging me down with your amateurish photos and sophomoric blather.

...for just one minute I had you, right?? lol. I'm kidding of course. *hides* Sorry about that but after the evening I've had I needed a laugh.

I have been down all evening with a nasty ass computer virus. I just got back online so I missed the entire thing.

Nancy, congratulations on winning tonight! That is way cool! I haven't even had a chance to look through the entries yet. Soooo...I will go check them out here in a few.

thanks, Dennis.  I think it was a set-up but that's okay.  Hope your computer is feeling better.

Jan 05 08 01:30 am Link

Photographer

Nancy Wishard

Confidential Photo wrote:

I agree as well.

Jan 05 08 01:32 am Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

Nancy Wishard wrote:
thanks, Dennis.  I think it was a set-up but that's okay.  Hope your ass is feeling better.

I can only speak for myself, but my vote for your image was my honest opinion of it.

Jan 05 08 01:35 am Link

Photographer

Nancy Wishard

Shadowscape Studio wrote:
I can only speak for myself, but my vote for your image was my honest opinion of it.

Thanks, Dave.  I guess I am so in awe of what you guys create that I can't picture(no pun intended) you voting for something of mine.  I am really flattered. ......I was all excited telling my hubby "I got a vote" and then as I read further on the thread...well you know the rest ~ If you read my response to Tommy you will see how fortunate I was to get that shot under the circumstances. 

So where do I get my medal??  lol

Jan 05 08 01:45 am Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

Nancy Wishard wrote:
Thanks, Dave.  I guess I am so in awe of what you guys create that I can't picture(no pun intended) you voting for something of mine.  I am really flattered. ......I was all excited telling my hubby "I got a vote" and then as I read further on the thread...well you know the rest ~ If you read my response to Tommy you will see how fortunate I was to get that shot under the circumstances. 

I must tell you that I voted for yours only because I could not vote for mine smile

Now... on your portfolio page
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … id=5145546

and you will have your medal.

Jan 05 08 01:58 am Link

Photographer

Nancy Wishard

Nancy Wishard wrote:

I must tell you that I voted for yours only because I could not vote for mine smile

Now... on your portfolio page type in  [img]followed by this link
followed by[/img]

Well I voted for yours if that helps...a most amazing photo.  I'd like to know how you got the model so clear and white without a trace of shadow....what time of day was it shot at and what form of lighting or reflector did you use?

Jan 05 08 02:08 am Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

Pretty much high noon on a sunny day.  No reflectors, no lights, no fill.  Taken with a 6mp camera and no post adjustment except for desaturating.  About as basic as you can get at the worst possible time of the day.
What I did have in my favor was a model that knew what she was doing, and a reasonable understanding of the camera's abilities.

Jan 05 08 02:19 am Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

I've got my choice for this evening, although it has a few things I would like to see changed, and could be with a little tweeking.  But I'm going to wait till the end to see what comes in.  Always hopeful of a late ringer.

Jan 05 08 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Amedeus

Stockton, California, US

Interesting discussions here ... will be checking this out on a regular basis

Rudi

Jan 05 08 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

ArmageddonTThunderbird

Norwalk, Ohio, US

I've got my choice for this evening, although it has a few things I would like to see changed, and could be with a little tweeking.  But I'm going to wait till the end to see what comes in.  Always hopeful of a late ringer.

I do too and have to say that today's presents the toughest decisions I've had so far. There are five in my 'top three'. Usually one to three that really appeal ...

Jan 05 08 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

ArmageddonTThunderbird

Norwalk, Ohio, US

Amedeus wrote:
Interesting discussions here ... will be checking this out on a regular basis

Rudi

I'm sure everyone here would appreciate your input too.

Jan 05 08 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

ArmageddonTThunderbird

Norwalk, Ohio, US

Now... on your portfolio page type in  [img]followed by this link
followed by[/img]

(running to put Blue Ribbon Medal on portfolio page)

I didn't know that we actually got prizes!!!

Jan 05 08 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Amedeus

Stockton, California, US

Tommy Dee wrote:

I'm sure everyone here would appreciate your input too.

Thanks ... not shy of speaking my mind in worthwhile discussions ... lol

Jan 05 08 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

It will be fun to talk about those that we can after the closing.  It would be nice if everyone got on the list.
Shoot, now I'm back up to two again.

Jan 05 08 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Nancy Wishard

Tommy Dee wrote:

(running to put Blue Ribbon Medal on portfolio page)

I didn't know that we actually got prizes!!!

https://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_9_5.gif

Jan 05 08 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

BobbyGPhoto

Houston, Texas, US

Please add me as critiqueable

Jan 05 08 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

Thanks Bobby, you are on the list.

Jan 05 08 10:35 pm Link

Model

Elizabeth Claret

Yelm, Washington, US

Please add me as critiqueable.

I actually got a vote tonight, I'm excited!

Jan 05 08 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

Elizabeth Claret wrote:
Please add me as critiqueable.

I actually got a vote tonight, I'm excited!

Got you Elizabeth, thanks.

Jan 05 08 10:43 pm Link

Model

Elizabeth Claret

Yelm, Washington, US

Got you Elizabeth, thanks.

Thank you!

Jan 05 08 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Amedeus

Stockton, California, US

You can add me to the list

Jan 05 08 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

Amedeus wrote:
You can add me to the list

Will do, thanks.

Jan 05 08 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

A reminder folks.
There is to be no discussions about images of people who are not on the list near the top of this page.  The list can also be found on the top of page 1.

For those who would like their image included in the discussions here, please let me know so I can get you on the list.

I have four that I would like to talk about, but it seems that I will be limited to just two of those four this evening.

Jan 05 08 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

JLC Images

Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US

You can put me on the permenant list for the thread smile

Jan 05 08 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

JLC Images wrote:
You can put me on the permenant list for the thread smile

Thanks Joe.

Jan 05 08 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

Another reminder that if someone wants off the list, let me know that also. 
We aim to please.

Jan 05 08 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

JLC Images

I do what I can for the little people.  I need to give people the chance to express their feeling on my brilliance for fear if I don't they might explode.

Now...back to editing bewbies

Jan 05 08 10:59 pm Link

Model

Elizabeth Claret

Yelm, Washington, US

JLC Images wrote:
I do what I can for the little people.  I need to give people the chance to express their feeling on my brilliance for fear if I don't they might explode.

Now...back to editing bewbies

Yay bewbies!

Jan 05 08 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

OK.  I had four images tonight that were in my final category.  Tough night.  Unfortunately two of them I can not talk about because the people have not yet signed up.  I would dearly like to tell you why I eliminated one and voted for the other, but oh well.
Tommy's image however was one on my list, and in fact made it down the the final two.
https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=4284996
  It had two things about it that kept it from being perfect in my book.  Very small and minor things.  1) The top crop.  I would have liked it better if it had been brought down from where it was 1/2 way to her left eye brow.  2) The mole, or dust that was on her forehead.  I like moles on the skin of my images.  They are part of that person, and I am not one of those who try and turn the skin perfect.  This one was faint however, and be it a mole or something else, it looked like Tom had dust on his sensor. 
Like I said...minor crap.
The other image is Bobby G's.
https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id= … id=3995509
  I'm glad that he signed up tonight.  I liked the rotation and cop of the image.  The diagonals were everywhere, and there were triangles galore.
Two things I was not fond of.  1) the skin tones shifted on the model from head to feet, ending up in a orange tint on the legs.  I see this quite often and it seems to be a problem with our digital equipment that we did not have with film.  I have seen it with point and shoot all the way through the Canon 1DsMKII.    2) The dark area in the upper right of the fabric is large enough that it seemed to throw the balance off.
The image I did vote for came in late, and I really want to talk about that, but I can't sad Poop!

Jan 05 08 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

BobbyGPhoto

Houston, Texas, US

Hey if we have won in the last week or so, can we post a medal on our page...I need all the help I can get LOL

Jan 05 08 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

Feel free to grab one for every time you have won.

Ok folks, I threw out my pennies here, what are you thoughts.
Feel free to rebut my comments if you like.

Jan 05 08 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

JLC Images

I think it might be a good idea to link the picture you are talking about so we don't have to jump around so much.

Can't wait to start talking about some of these.  Need to sleep now.

Jan 05 08 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

Good point, and I will edit my comments with them.

Jan 05 08 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

ArmageddonTThunderbird

Norwalk, Ohio, US

It's funny - I started this yesterday with the concept of 'deal breakers' and today I had great difficulty making a decision. Now I am going to be hard pressed to come up with something that reflects that mentality.

My top three (after agonizing about a couple more):

JandJ:
http://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=5178626
Love the mood and the model. Didn't care for the hunched shoulder and backward elbow. If there was a deal breaker however, it would be the feeling of underexposure. Flatness is OK for a gentle mood but it didn't feel as if it was contributing here.

Posted by a very lovely model and we apparently can't discuss it.

Z_Photo
http://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=4742622
I have to be honest and say that every day I have to struggle to vote for the photo and not the model. Yeah, I know. Sorry.

The models in all three of my top picks were perfect combinations of face and figure and really it came down to this photo feeling the most complete to me. Composition, lighting, tonal range, model and pose all came together very well IMHO. This was the VOTE for me.

Jan 05 08 11:34 pm Link