Forums > General Industry > Pay shoot only???

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I'm sure I'm not the only photographer who thinks this way so I figured I'd "pose" this question. Do you think a model is shooting themself in the foot when their profile states that they are only accepting "paying" jobs? I find it almost hilarious that a model would do that. For me it's a huge "STOP & RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN THE OTHER WAY" sign.

I'm not intersted in shooting "artistic" nudes so any model you may see on my profile that is in their b-day suit has done so on their own will. I'm almost uncomfortable shooting models in the buff.  But back to the topic at hand.

Does anyone else feel that many models are limiting the contact that they might get if they didn't have the pay only option checked off?  What really kills me is models that have NO idea of what a professional images is supposed to look like because they have nothing but camera phone pictures in their profile.

Apr 26 05 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

I've shot "PAY ONLY" models for TFP before.  I've even had a couple of them pay me.  It's a gimmick used to trick photographers who they don't want to work with.  It's like, "I'm sorry.  I only accept paid jobs!"  Then later that month, I'm shoot that model twice.  Once at the beach and once in studio, with no money out of my pocket.

Apr 26 05 08:16 pm Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

I have listed that I accept paid assignments only.  But I do accept selected TFP assignments.  I just don't market that...but I guess everybody knows that now.  LOL  I'll do TFP with people who I find their work to be great or if I know that I'll get good exposure from it or if it REALLY interests me.  In fact, I probably do more TFP assignments then paid assignments.  I'm too nice, I think.  However, I feel that my rates are reasonable as do the photographers I work with constantly.  They know that I'll give them the images they want or need and that I put 100% into the work.  Plus they know that I travel a lot for photo shoots and I can drive up to 15 hours one way to get to a shoot. 

Apr 26 05 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
I've shot "PAY ONLY" models for TFP before.  I've even had a couple of them pay me.  It's a gimmick used to trick photographers who they don't want to work with.  It's like, "I'm sorry.  I only accept paid jobs!"  Then later that month, I'm shoot that model twice.  Once at the beach and once in studio, with no money out of my pocket.

Wow man you must be Yoda!

Apr 26 05 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

I will not even contact a model who lists pay only. It's sort of like, "who do you think you are" but I've been known to be a pompus asshole sometimes. Let that not stop anyone from contacting me though. I'm sure no model would have anything bad to say about EMG, but hey I could be wrong.

If I know I'll get some loot from the client, I'll get part of that money upfront and pay the model for a shoot but, money out of my pocket??

Apr 26 05 08:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

well, I am not a model but as an artist I don't do testing paid or unpaid. I used to not announce it in my profile on modeling/photo sites but then I found myself constantly answering emails from people that wanted me to test or doa tfp. I was afraid that I would hurt feelings by saying "no". I didn't want anyone to feel like I felt their work wasn't good enough because thats not why I refuse unpaid work.  It's because I really am just too busy.  Now I have it on all my public sites and even my own domain site (under rates) 

It boils down to time.  I respect peoples time and composing an email to me only to be told "sorry"  just doesn't seem right and as I said before, people get their feelings hurt when you tell them no; but when you announce it across the board to everyone, nobody takes it personal.

I don't know if the model has advanced in her career beyond tfp or not.  It may be that she just had so many requests she figured..."I'll just say no to everyone and when I find someone whose work I really like, I will contact them"

Apr 26 05 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by MGAphoto (ANT): 

tongue

Apr 26 05 08:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I feel stupid now.   I just realized this is the only site I didnt say that on smile  It's on my site though.  www.TheMakeupArtist.com 

edited to add....now my profile says what it should of said smile

Apr 26 05 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Apr 26 05 08:33 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I would do that type of test.  Photographer pays my day rate and then sells me the photos I want for any price he or she likes.  It's a gamble on the photographers part but I would be all for it smile

Apr 26 05 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

If I pay a model or a makeup artist. I don't feel that they are entitled to the images. They can purchase them, just like I purchased their services. It's all fair right?

Apr 26 05 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by MGAphoto (ANT): 

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 

LOL

Photographer: "I don't need to pay you for this photoshoot."

Model: "You don't need to pay me for this photoshoot."

Yeah. The good ol' Jedi Mind Trick works everytime.

Apr 26 05 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Zero Dean

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 
Do you think a model is shooting themself in the foot when their profile states that they are only accepting "paying" jobs?

Absolutely.

It's entirely ridiculous.

People like this have no real interest in modeling or making a career out of it, in my opinion (which is fine!)... I think it's likely that they heard somewhere that some photographers would probably pay her some decent money to take her picture.

The sad thing is, there seem to be a lot of photographers willing to do this...

I guess for some, it can be useful... paying a model that they might not otherwise be able to work with in order to build up their portfolio and get some experience... sure, that works and makes some sense.

But paying a model who clearly has no experience and the best photos in her "portfolio" were taken with a cell phone? That's crazy.

I tend to avoid contacting models who advertise "pay only", for the most part, though I've made some exceptions. To me it generally signifies a kind of attitude that I don't want to get involved with. On one hand, if a model has fantastic shots in her portfolio and has "pay only" checked off, I'm like, "Well, good for her...but she's not very open minded.". If they have crappy photos in their portfolio and have "pay only" checked off, I think, "She's a lost cause...steer clear."

I only pay models when I'm working on a specific project for a client that also sees that I am paid. I never pay out-of-pocket.

Apr 26 05 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Zero Dean

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 
...but I've been known to be a pompus asshole sometimes.

Haven't we all? wink You can't please all the people all the time...but you can please some of the people most of the time... or something like that.

It's always funny how two or more people can share in the same experience and walk away with a completely different impression.

Apr 26 05 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

This is an ego driven business and a great many models overrate themselves thinking that they're "all that."  I've even had models respond to my offer of TFP and try to get me to pay.  I find it quite amusing to look at some of the third rate photos accompanied by profiles that read "paid assignments only."  Paying out of pocket is for GWC's.  A talented professional photographer should never be expected to pay out of pocket for anything more than travel expenses and/or refreshments for a TFP shoot.  My response to "paid assignments only" is "NEXT!"

Apr 26 05 09:22 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

All models with any serious interest in the field do TFP/tests. A lot of people will claim that they don't to cut down on offers from people who aren't worth testing with, but they do them. Personally, I very rarely do TFP and I say so. I'd rather turn down a bunch of silly TFP offers than lie on my profile.

Models that really only shoot for pay don't last very long.

Apr 27 05 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Herb Way

"Models that really only shoot for pay don't last very long."

The truth is the light.

Apr 27 05 06:08 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Posted by theda: 

Yes, but their crappy photos and profile last forever on OMP https://bestsmileys.com/angry1/19.gif

Apr 27 05 06:17 am Link

Model

Amabelle

Toronto, Iowa, US

Ive done a bit of TFP on my side and have scored many paid jobs on the side..I consider TFP with select photographers because as mentioned in this forum, it all comes down to time.  Though I want to help out with those who are just starting out, I don't have enough time to give to everyone else out there who wants to work with me.  TFP to me is practice for both parties and if the time is used wisely, the pictures will turn out well.  I do agree that its ridiculous to put up "Paid assignments only" when the pictures on their profile is crap.  That's like someone buying something on the net based on a description with no words. 

Apr 27 05 06:28 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by EricMuss-Barnes: 
LOL

Photographer: "I don't need to pay you for this photoshoot."

Model: "You don't need to pay me for this photoshoot."

Yeah. The good ol' Jedi Mind Trick works everytime.

Laugh all you want.  It works, but not for everyone.

Apr 27 05 06:49 am Link

Photographer

Gary L.

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 
If I pay a model or a makeup artist. I don't feel that they are entitled to the images. They can purchase them, just like I purchased their services. It's all fair right?

agreed 150%

Apr 27 05 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Gary L.

Posted by Dan Hood: 

Posted by theda: 

Yes, but their crappy photos and profile last forever on OMP https://bestsmileys.com/angry1/19.gif 

LOL

Apr 27 05 08:15 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Posted by Gary L.: 

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 

agreed 150%

Agreed...

Apr 27 05 08:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

I think it's unwise to say "Only" or "Never." It does close doors on occasion...  It's nice to be open-minded to any possible beneficial opportunity.

Apr 27 05 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Shawn Kuck

RANSON, West Virginia, US

yeah if someone has pay only they have to be pretty incredible for me to look at their profile very long. Most of the time I don't even make it past the main image. Chances are good that I won't cast them for paying gigs, I tend to cast people I know and have helped me out in the past. Really the only chance of them getting cast on a shoot with me is if my client casts them. I'd never use a makeup artist that hasn't tested with me so I can see how well they work, not just there makeup either. I wanna know how the shoot flows with them. And I want to know what happens after the shoot. If someone going to bug the hell out of me after the shoot, yeah your out.

Shawn

Apr 27 05 09:16 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Dan Hood: 

Posted by theda: 

You nailed that one Dan. 

I have always been told and have found to be true that your photo is only as good as the weakest member on the team.  If you shoot with a weak photographer it doesn't matter what the rest of the team brings to the table, you're going to have weak shots. If a great photographer, artist, stylist etc work with a model thats weak, same thing, you end up with shots nobody but the model will want.   

If you shoot with a model whose success has well surpased yours you will need to pay her. If a beginner model works with an established, great photographer, she will have to pay him.  When a great model has the top names to chose from she has no incentive to work with someone unknown without pay.

Apr 27 05 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Well said Mary!

"If a great photographer, artist, stylist etc work with a model thats weak, same thing, you end up with shots nobody but the model will want. "

I should have been rich off of most of the models on OMP :-P

Ok. That was the EGO talking!

To date, I have only paid models when the gig was one where I earned money and had money to cover the model.

I prefer a TF/DIR system
Time For Digital Images and Rights...

Basically, My philosophy (especially for the artwork) is that I will photograph you and modify it into artwork, I will not pay you, However, You have the right to final approval of any piece of artwork, and once we both agree it is a final piece I have a copyright, and you have an unlimited no-commercial use right to that image.
Meaning, print posters and give them away, make downloadable free screesavers out of them, do whatever, As long as you are not selling my finished product.

You want to sell my finished product, then I want a cut. :-P

Unless you are super model material with a good memory that can drag me kicking and screaming to the top with you..... :-)

Apr 27 05 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

"If you shoot with a model whose success has well surpased yours you will need to pay her. If a beginner model works with an established, great photographer, she will have to pay him. When a great model has the top names to chose from she has no incentive to work with someone unknown without pay."

It all depends.  There are no absolutes.  I, personally, have never felt inspired to pay.

Apr 27 05 03:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Herb Way: 

It all depends.  There are no absolutes.  I, personally, have never felt inspired to pay.

Herb, I understand your point, and for the type of photos you're shooting (I only know from your portfolio here)  you don't need to pay. Your photography (here anyway) is more artistic nude then commercial or fashion. If you were shooting fashion or commercial looking shots you would need someone with more specific requirments, height, measurments, great skin, hair, the whole package. Really good fashion and commercial models are hard to find even for paid jobs. I say that because I have been on many casting where a whole day went by with agency models streaming through for a paid job and not a single model was right.  Figure models that don't have the stats etc to work in the main stream areas of modeling are easier to find (I would assume) and so it boils down to supply and demand, no reason you should pay.

Apr 27 05 03:57 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
What really kills me is models that have NO idea of what a professional images is supposed to look like because they have nothing but camera phone pictures in their profile.

I disagree. Just because a model does not have professional photos in their profile does not mean they don't know what a professional image looks like. I'm pretty sure a human who frequents the internet on any type of regular basis has seen at least a few of the millions of professional images of models available online.

Dec 20 22 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

veypurr wrote:
I disagree. Just because a model does not have professional photos in their profile does not mean they don't know what a professional image looks like. I'm pretty sure a human who frequents the internet on any type of regular basis has seen at least a few of the millions of professional images of models available online.

WoW.  You're getting really good at digging up these fossilized threads!
(but at least there's now something going on in these forums)

Dec 20 22 08:06 pm Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

Oldest thread ever.

Will say that a lot of models started putting that on their profiles to limit responses on purpose. It was the entire point.
Quality > Quantity

Dec 25 22 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

veypurr FTW!

Dec 26 22 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

EdBPhotography

Torrance, California, US

Mark Salo wrote:
veypurr FTW!

"He is answering a question from 17 years ago!" - Tom Cruise (Rain Man)

Dec 26 22 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Everyone that starts a thread hopes that it does well and people like it,
perhaps informs, or gets you to ponder. This one has exceeded expectations.
It has thrived and endured scandals, recessions, and even a couple of pandemics.

And here it is, seventeen short years later (how time flies). It now, drives a
car and will be graduating in the spring. I will try to send a note and maybe
even a few bucks as this thread goes out and tries to make its way through
this crazy world. Godspeed little thread.

Dec 26 22 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Redacted

Dang I got lured into a Zombie thread

Lol

Dec 27 22 12:21 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Motordrive Photography wrote:
Everyone that starts a thread hopes that it does well and people like it,
perhaps informs, or gets you to ponder. This one has exceeded expectations.
It has thrived and endured scandals, recessions, and even a couple of pandemics.

Does well? Exceeded expectations?  lol It lasted a month back in 05, didn't even make it to a second page. I'd hardly call that thriving.

Dec 27 22 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Red Sky Photography wrote:

Does well? Exceeded expectations?  lol It lasted a month back in 05, didn't even make it to a second page. I'd hardly call that thriving.

That was part of the joke and sarcasm,  sorry it missed the mark.

Dec 27 22 10:08 am Link

Photographer

Manfred

Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

not here anymore. wrote:

So true. Every model who claims to do only paid photoshoots is lying.

Jan 14 23 01:25 am Link

Photographer

Manfred

Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
Do you think a model is shooting themself in the foot when their profile states that they are only accepting "paying" jobs?

I think so. I don't contact them, and I don't accept requests for photoshoots from them.

Jan 28 23 12:27 am Link