Forums > Model Colloquy > Why do short models insist of doin Runway?

Photographer

Nadirah B

Los Angeles, California, US

UdoR wrote:

Imajin Studios wrote:
well if you happen to notice i posted under models hoping they can answer the question, but you seem to be the expert, so why don't you enlighten me

Errrr... I am sorry... but I think that you may not have read my article at all.

Because IF you'd know a few things... and they were industry based, you wouldn't argue that way.

You know I like you and all, but here you are not correct.

The industry is the way it is period. If someone wants to know WHY short folks want to model it's because they just want to. Period. It won't land them the job on runway because they ARE short, so what's the problem>? I don't see why i'm incorrect in saying they don't fit the requirements...

May 31 07 02:05 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Enticing_Enjoli wrote:

Sweetie I am a good 5ft 5.5in lol and I think we are the ones that was really supposed to answer that question lol but for me *cough cough* I jus wanna try it all!!! I know I am short Dont think it fair that I am cast out due to being a bit vertically challenged but I can move on and get my experience or runway fame locally in these fashion shows so....that's my time to shine and I will other than that lol I know where my place is in this industry...of course most ppl dont do change its a written law somewhere that we the short ppl are not to due runway (for whatever reason) geez get over it there is so much more out there you can do...get in where you fit in

LOL I'm 5'2.......I beat you on being able to answer. I work the runway and people don't realize I am as short as I am til they realize i'm wearing heels lol!!  I fool people all the time about my height ESPECIALLY in pictures. I just did a smaller runway show at the end of last year. It was for a smaller company but so *shrug* I shouldn't do it even after they accept me for my height? It's not high fashion so i'm not bothering anyone and I fit my local vendor just fine smile

May 31 07 02:07 am Link

Model

Alisyn Carliene

San Bernardino, California, US

i think i gave you a good straightforward answer smile
there are still opportunities for short models in runway.
as far as how far you will go is questionable. i just really like doing it. at 5"5 i fit some runway shows' minimum heigth requirements which i am very thankful for.

May 31 07 02:08 am Link

Photographer

Jim Jurica

Schaumburg, Illinois, US

Personal feelings aside (short girls = hot!)...

Just like the old saying "the camera adds 10 pounds," it seems the camera also deducts a few inches.  Short people look so much shorter unless photographed from low angles.  Taller models have the advantage.

May 31 07 02:08 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

LOL!! It's funny I go in for a test and they're like...oh wow you ARE short LOL!!!

I'm working with what I have, and so do other short models who put in work and have a decent look/presence and walk. Will they stop wishing they could just because they can't do high fashion?....probably not lol

May 31 07 02:10 am Link

Model

Enticing_Enjoli

Columbus, Ohio, US

DAMN my parents for making me so short!!! funny thing is next to my sister who stands a good 5'10" i am the tallest person in my family lol

May 31 07 02:11 am Link

Model

CamiAnn

Imajin Studios wrote:
Why do models who are short for High fashion runway (below 5'9") keep insisting they want to do runway work?

well...not all of us "insist" on it...but I have done runway work for petite fashion shows...I know its not the runway you are probably referring to, but there is a market, albeit small, for petites.  Personally, I don't insist on it and really, I don't even like it. wink

May 31 07 02:13 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

SWEETFACE SHOTS wrote:
LOL I'm 5'2.......smile

i see why you got irritated, just don't take it personally especially these MM forums, life's too short

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

I did some runway modelling when I was less than 5' tall.

(me and my sister modeled children's clothes - I hated it - I remember feeling ridiculous, and I was always afraid I was going to walk too far and fall off the end of the catwalk)

Photographer

Imajin Studios

Cami_Cami wrote:

well...not all of us "insist" on it...but I have done runway work for petite fashion shows...I know its not the runway you are probably referring to, but there is a market, albeit small, for petites.  Personally, I don't insist on it and really, I don't even like it. wink

good for u

May 31 07 02:15 am Link

Photographer

Tom Huynh Loft Studio

Sacramento, California, US

I rather have a short model who could walk than a 5"9' who can't. I've seen many 5"9 who just looks awkward on that runway.

May 31 07 02:15 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

speaking of short models on runways

ISN'T SHE JUST TOO CUTE

https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/Uneeked/IMG_1746.jpg

from LA Fashion Week

May 31 07 02:16 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Imajin Studios wrote:

i see why you got irritated, just don't take it personally especially these MM forums, life's too short

i'm not irritated, just asking why it matters to you enough to make a post. You want to know what a short person is thinking...ask short people! You don't ask a man what a woman is thinking.

Your OP sounded snooty and like I said it's not affecting you personally or your paycheck. Just asking why you care.

May 31 07 02:16 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

SWEETFACE SHOTS wrote:
LOL I'm 5'2.......smile

Imajin Studios wrote:

You just have to rub it in, huh?! big_smile

May 31 07 02:18 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Tom Huynh wrote:
I rather have a short model who could walk than a 5"9' who can't. I've seen many 5"9 who just looks awkward on that runway.

*sigh* I have to agree with you. I'm still upset at you about bigger girls...

Here's an example of a man making a point to make a thread about not wanting to shoot big girls. Did it require a thread? Nope. Did it affect his wallet or client? Nope..Why was he making it a point to ask...Who knows.

Model

Enticing_Enjoli

Columbus, Ohio, US

Imajin Studios wrote:

ISN'T SHE JUST TOO CUTE

from LA Fashion Week

just adorable!!! now if she can do there is still hope for me!!! yay!!!

Photographer

Imajin Studios

Tom Huynh wrote:

alot of them look awkward because of the shoes (high heeled) and some try to walk too fast, i've seen models losing shoes on runways because the shoe's were too big and thus make em walk awkwardly

Photographer

Nadirah B

UdoR wrote:

SWEETFACE SHOTS wrote:
LOL I'm 5'2.......smile

oh stop it! Udor knows he'd be trying to put me on his shoulder and walk around with me!

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

Imajin Studios wrote:

ISN'T SHE JUST TOO CUTE

from LA Fashion Week

Ahh... I can see kids runway clothes haven't changed much in 30 years.

May 31 07 02:19 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Imajin Studios wrote:

alot of them look awkward because of the shoes (high heeled) and some try to walk too fast, i've seen models losing shoes on runways because the shoe's were too big and thus make em walk awkwardly

And who's brilliant idea was that?! LOL!! let's put the girls in shoes they can't walk in for that MEAN runway walk lol! Most people who think up all these wild things are people who don't wear the clothes.

Photographer

Imajin Studios

UdoR wrote:

SWEETFACE SHOTS wrote:
LOL I'm 5'2.......smile

you know me mate lol

Photographer

Nadirah B

Fotographia Fantastique wrote:

Ahh... I can see kids runway clothes haven't changed much in 30 years.

Wow I can see the clothes on her too! How tall is she again? big_smile

May 31 07 02:20 am Link

Photographer

FuchsMedia

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Imajin Studios wrote:
Why do models who are short for High fashion runway (below 5'9") keep insisting they want to do runway work?

because they've seen models that they idiolize, kate moss, who are under the industry's standards and they are flourishing.  It takes one person to make the change.

May 31 07 02:23 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

SWEETFACE SHOTS wrote:

the funny thing on that shot nobody in the media riser expected a kid to walk out and you could tell everyone had the camera focused on atleat a 5'9" model to walk out and than this sweet looking angel walks out and next thing you know she's not positioned right and you have to tight in the shot to get her on the frame, lol that was kool though, give it up to the kids

May 31 07 02:24 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

FuchsMedia wrote:

because they've seen models that they idiolize, kate moss, who are under the industry's standards and they are flourishing.  It takes one person to make the change.

eh....if I had money for everytime someone told me I wasn't going to do something i'd be buying youtube with cash!

I just say do what you do, and do it well! Nope you probably won't walk on the catwalk unless you're an actress etc but...You can attempt to give folks a run for their money wink

May 31 07 02:27 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Imajin Studios wrote:

the funny thing on that shot nobody in the media riser expected a kid to walk out and you could tell everyone had the camera focused on atleat a 5'9" model to walk out and than this sweet looking angel walks out and next thing you know she's not positioned right and you have to tight in the shot to get her on the frame, lol that was kool though, give it up to the kids

Give it up for short models! so there! I see models who are 5'7 who SHOULD be doing bigger things and it's like...grrr

May 31 07 02:28 am Link

Model

CamiAnn

FuchsMedia wrote:

I definitely do not idolize Kate Moss...

May 31 07 02:30 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/20 … 0528.jhtml

a snippet:

On the mega-hit show Grey's Anatomy, Chandra Wilson plays resident surgeon Dr. Miranda Bailey. But she wasn't necessarily who the show's creators had in mind. "My role was originally intended for a short, white, blonde female," she says.

In her real life, Chandra is the mother of three children—a 16-month-old boy and two girls, ages 8 and 13. When she won a Screen Actors Guild Award in 2007, her speech specifically mentioned what the award would mean to her daughters. "Just to be able to take this thing home to my girls in particular and hold it in front of them and say, 'Look. With this skin and this nose and this height and these arms, you know, I'm here,'" Chandra said. "Thank you, Screen Actors Guild, for taking me as I am."

Chandra says her self-concept development is still "a work in progress." "I have to affirm that for myself a lot of times that I'm good enough already, just right here in this skin, where I am," she says. "That I shouldn't have to wait until my nose changes shape or if I start bleaching my skin."

May 31 07 02:32 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

thats what happens when you give em shoes that aren't her size,atleast she still managed to keep the foot up, and someone from audience picked up the shoe for her and handed it back to her
https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/Uneeked/IMG_6470.jpg
https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/Uneeked/IMG_6475.jpg

May 31 07 02:32 am Link

Photographer

FuchsMedia

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

oh and one more thing, i was looking at your photos and you've got photos of Eva, on the runway, who is also under industry standards, so then there is your answer!

May 31 07 02:33 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

SWEETFACE SHOTS wrote:

Nice try!

(This is probably my last post in here)...

You say that you are a designer... but it seems you haven't heard of standard sample sizes that all garments are being cut for... by all designers who do the average and high end fashion for their industry presentation on the runway.

Are there designers who try to "break the mold" and be "inventive" and "rebellious" and purposely designing clothes for short people and have small runway shows in some mall... absolutely... will you see those designs EVER on a regular runway or on NY Fashion Week?

I don't think so... and IF THEY MAKE IT to the big time... what is it you want to bet that they conform with the industry standard and use it's sample sizes...

Lastly... the reason that many short models think that they have the right to be on the runway is because of ANTM for the past, what... eight seasons... lots of weekly programing that girls grow up with (a girl that started to watch the 1st season at age 13 is now 17 and being told by Tyra that no matter what... she too has a chance to make it.

Then there are "modeling schools" that encourage the unqualified and giving them the dream for the big bucks pulled from the wallet of Mommy and Daddy...

It's really sickening and discouraging seeing "dreams" that were fed by unscrupulous people being defended and kept in a mental cage that limits the model or young persons true potential by keeping it trapped in a lie!

Toodles

May 31 07 02:34 am Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Because people want what they can't have.

May 31 07 02:35 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

FuchsMedia wrote:
oh and one more thing, i was looking at your photos and you've got photos of Eva, on the runway, who is also under industry standards, so then there is your answer!

yeah she also won that one TV show, whatever its called with that other model who hosts it too, go figure

May 31 07 02:35 am Link

Model

Ms Jennifer Denise

Seattle, Washington, US

Well, there's alot of local nightclubs that do fashion shows that ask for models of all types and sizes. I guess they aspire to do those types of shows, who knows? They're nowhere near the high fashion shows though. Alot of them just are avenues for guys to come out and gawk at girls with tig ole bitties and booties, lol. There's alot of those types of shows here.

I'm sure that some 5'5" models are smart enough to realize that the high fashion runways are unrealistic. Hell, i know it's unrealistic for me smile

May 31 07 02:37 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

UdoR wrote:
Nice try!

You say that you are a designer... but it seems you haven't heard of standard sample sizes that all garments are being cut for... by all designers who do the average and high end fashion for their industry presentation on the runway.

Are there designers who try to "break the mold" and be "inventive" and "rebellious" and purposely designing clothes for short people and have small runway shows in some mall... absolutely... will you see those designs EVER on a regular runway or on NY Fashion Week?

I don't think so... and IF THEY MAKE IT to the big time... what is it you want to bet that they conform with the industry standard and use it's sample sizes...

Lastly... the reason that many short models think that they have the right to be on the runway is because of ANTM for the past, what... eight years... lots of weekly programing that girls grow up with (a girl that started to watch the 1st season at age 11 is now 19 and being told by Tyra that no matter what... she too has a chance to make it.

Then there are "modeling schools" that encourage the unqualified and giving them the dream for the big bucks pulled from the wallet of Mommy and Daddy...

It's really sickening and discouraging seeing "dreams" that were fed by unscrupulous people being defended and kept in a mental cage that limits the model or young persons true potential by keeping it trapped in a lie!

Toodles

i tell you what UdOR does shoot alot of runway shows and he'a also in the production of one of the great runway shows in NYC during fashion week so i'll listen to his thoughts

May 31 07 02:38 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

Jenise wrote:
Well, there's alot of local nightclubs that do fashion shows that ask for models of all types and sizes. I guess they aspire to do those types of shows, who knows? They're nowhere near the high fashion shows though. Alot of them just are avenues for guys to come out and gawk at girls with tig ole bitties and booties, lol. There's alot of those types of shows here.

I'm sure that some 5'5" models are smart enough to realize that the high fashion runways are unrealistic. Hell, i know it's unrealistic for me smile

yep its all the club shows

May 31 07 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

UdoR wrote:

Nice try!

Lastly... the reason that many short models think that they have the right to be on the runway is because of ANTM for the past, what... eight years... lots of weekly programing that girls grow up with (a girl that started to watch the 1st season at age 11 is now 19 and being told by Tyra that no matter what... she too has a chance to make it.

Toodles

All im saying is...when I run MY business I am running my business. Models lie about height and size all the time, and no one seems to mind as long as she looks good. When I had a runway show the models were from 5'0 to 6. My clothes were made for different types of bodies.

It's not about modeling schools, it's about people wanting to RELATE to the people that are selling them things. When I see a plus model at size 8, how is SHE at size 8 at 5'9 supposed to sell something to a 4'11 size 20 woman. She looks nothing like you so you say dammit I want to change it. Folks get to rebelling and this is what you get.

The chances of changing it are what? The point is when YOU run your business you run it how you want to. If I had clothes I wanted on runway I'd be looking for Isabella Du not some random 5'9 chick because of 2 inches. *shrugs* That's my opinion and i'm stickin' to it

May 31 07 02:39 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Imajin Studios wrote:
i tell you what UdOR does shoot alot of runway shows and he'a also in the production of one of the great runway shows in NYC during fashion week so i'll listen to his thoughts

Thanks Ed!

I said my peace...

May 31 07 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Imajin Studios wrote:

He can have his thoughts, and I can have mine. I'm not trying to stretch myself too thin and doing things one step at a time. You can shoot alot of shows but what does it matter to him either about a short woman wanting to model? Like I said it doesn't affect him or you smile

Me as a designer, I can decide who I want and I will when I get to that point.

May 31 07 02:42 am Link

Photographer

ethan james photography

College Station, Texas, US

why ask why?
try bud...nevermind i'm going to bed.

enjoy the thread. (to complete the rhyme)

May 31 07 02:46 am Link