Forums > Model Colloquy > Why do short models insist of doin Runway?

Model

Kristal_x

Chicago, Illinois, US

Since short models are always wanting to be taller and skinnier to do runway... I wonder if taller, skinny runway models ever want to be shorter and voluptuous, and do glamour or commercial....

PERSONAL NOTE: I am 5'6 and I did runway once, it was truely exhilarating ...

May 31 07 02:47 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Los Angeles, California, US

ethan james photography wrote:
why ask why?
try bud...nevermind i'm going to bed.

enjoy the thread. (to complete the rhyme)

lol! night ethan!

May 31 07 02:47 am Link

Model

Kemmie T x10

Atlanta, Georgia, US

SWEETFACE SHOTS wrote:

Why not ask short people why they want to do it. Why ask people who can't answer like the persons you're questioning...

I can contribute because I think it's garbage. Its always ok to say not to use certain people as model examples BUT yet they're on runway and looking good on it and not at the height of good ol' 5'9.

I also say I digress I can't change the industry and it is what it is.

Yeah, I think that's what he did. Mm may be working on it, but the site doesn't have a feature that allows thread filtering yet-"this thread can only be viewed by models under 5'6. You are too tall, and therefore not allowed to view this thread. Please leave. "

You kno, somethin like that.

May 31 07 02:48 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Kemmie T x10 wrote:

Yeah, I think that's what he did. Mm may be working on it, but the site doesn't have a feature that allows thread filtering yet-"this thread can only be viewed by models under 5'6. You are too tall, and therefore not allowed to view this thread. Please leave. "

LMAOOOOOOOOOOO he could have used it on the title and def in his OP. He's asking why do short models yadayadayada. Just say Short models: yadayadayada.. It's like someone talking about you while you're standing there. I know you used to hate when your family did that to ya!

May 31 07 02:50 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

Kemmie T x10 wrote:

LMAO thats too funny

May 31 07 02:52 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

SWEETFACE SHOTS wrote:

LMAOOOOOOOOOOO he could have used it on the title and def in his OP. He's asking why do short models yadayadayada. Just say Short models: yadayadayada.. It's like someone talking about you while you're standing there. I know you used to hate when your family did that to ya!

at least we find the humor in the same things

May 31 07 02:53 am Link

Model

Jami Lea

There are always exceptions.  Step lively and stop trying to trample people's dreams.  Reality and constructive criticism are a must, but Kate Moss?  Gia?  Were they 5'9"?  That one Asian super model that isn't 5'9"?  I say if a girl works her ass off and I mean completely and totally, not letting anything stop her, if she is beautiful, talented, etc., it can be accomplished.

May 31 07 02:54 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Imajin Studios wrote:

at least we find the humor in the same things

Well i'm not bothering your job, so don't rip on other's jobs. Let them do what they do and you keep doing YOUR job and the world will continue to turn as always ;P

May 31 07 02:54 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

SWEETFACE SHOTS wrote:

Well i'm not bothering your job, so don't rip on other's jobs. Let them do what they do and you keep doing YOUR job and the world will continue to turn as always ;P

i hope i wasn't bothering your job too, or did i?

May 31 07 02:56 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Jami Lea wrote:
There are always exceptions.  Step lively and stop trying to trample people's dreams.  Reality and constructive criticism are a must, but Kate Moss?  Gia?  Were they 5'9"?  That one Asian super model that isn't 5'9"?  I say if a girl works her ass off and I mean completely and totally, not letting anything stop her, if she is beautiful, talented, etc., it can be accomplished.

*claps* To a degree yah lol!

Photographer

Nadirah B

Imajin Studios wrote:

i hope i wasn't bothering your job too, or did i?

Nope but making threads about something that doesn't concern ya probably isn't the best idea smile

Photographer

Imajin Studios

SWEETFACE SHOTS wrote:

Nope but making threads about something that doesn't concern ya probably isn't the best idea smile

oh it does concern me thats why i asked, you have no idea how many girls ask me how to get into fashion runway when they don't have the height to do so

May 31 07 02:59 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Jami Lea wrote:

But does it REALLY HAVE TO BE MAINSTREAM runway???

There are soooo many more opportunities for shorter models in all kinds of segments of the "modeling industry".

Funny side note... it appears that ANTM is more a weak jumping board for beginning actresses with little side roles and guest appearances than ending up in modeling...

Just thought to mention this!

May 31 07 03:01 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Imajin Studios wrote:

oh it does concern me thats why i asked, you have no idea how many girls ask me how to get into fashion runway when they don't have the height to do so

They're looking for an answer. Udor's thread gives you answers to pass on. OR you can just say they don't fit the requirement

May 31 07 03:03 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

UdoR wrote:

But does it REALLY HAVE TO BE MAINSTREAM runway???

There are soooo many more opportunities for shorter models in all kinds of segments of the "modeling industry".

Funny side note... it appears that ANTM is more a weak jumping board for beginning actresses with little side roles and guest appearances than ending up in modeling...

Just thought to mention this!

speaking of ANTM what in the world is Tyra doin, same thing with that IDOL show, everyone thinks they can go on it and sing....Sanjaya?..WTF

May 31 07 03:03 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

SWEETFACE SHOTS wrote:

They're looking for an answer. Udor's thread gives you answers to pass on. OR you can just say they don't fit the requirement

the problem is they see like a Eva Longoria in a show (for charity) and they think they can do it too, forgetting that she's an actress and a celebrity so she will be invited to walk such shows

May 31 07 03:06 am Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

I don't know why people are getting all freaked out... it's an interesting question.

I think a lot of the times, the "dream" comes basically from ignorance. A lot of people don't know the basic requirements for certain types of modeling. They think that because they have a pretty face, it will happen.

Yeah, being a runway model would be cool, but why be completely delusional with your "dreams"? I've just never understood that.

May 31 07 03:07 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Fifi-Alexis wrote:
I don't know why people are getting all freaked out... it's an interesting question.

I think a lot of the times, the "dream" comes basically from ignorance. A lot of people don't know the basic requirements for certain types of modeling. They think that because they have a pretty face, it will happen.

Yeah, being a runway model would be cool, but why be completely delusional with your "dreams"? I've just never understood that.

Well most "people" don't know their dream won't come to pass. We all know someone who has a dream. Everyone takes it a little differently, some people have to bang their heads a few times to catch on.

May 31 07 03:09 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Imajin Studios wrote:

the problem is they see like a Eva Longoria in a show (for charity) and they think they can do it too, forgetting that she's an actress and a celebrity so she will be invited to walk such shows

Right, but they see a beautiful woman at their height walking the walk and doing a good job at it. Forget she's a celeb. She's rocking that designer on red carpet, that's what they see.

May 31 07 03:10 am Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Jami Lea wrote:

Jami... seriously... stop perpetuating the lie that because Kate and Devon did it, everyone else can.

Devon was a model because of her famous father.... If she wasn't already famous, she wouldn't have been a model. Kate Moss was an anomaly... Not everyone was Kate Moss... and, she started as a teen so, they thought she would still grow.

I hate it when people put these messages out there without putting out all the facts also.

May 31 07 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

SWEETFACE SHOTS wrote:

Well most "people" don't know their dream won't come to pass. We all know someone who has a dream. Everyone takes it a little differently, some people have to bang their heads a few times to catch on.

look at it in a positive way, atleast they have a dream which makes me believe they hope for something to happen, cause nothing like not having a dream

May 31 07 03:11 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Fifi-Alexis wrote:

Jami... seriously... stop perpetuating the lie that because Kate and Devon did it, everyone else can.

Devon was a model because of her famous father.... If she wasn't already famous, she wouldn't have been a model. Kate Moss was an anomaly... Not everyone was Kate Moss... and, she started as a teen so, they thought she would still grow.

I hate it when people put these messages out there without putting out all the facts also.

to them it doesn't matter HOW they got there, they're there and not at 5'9. That's why they keep trying.

May 31 07 03:12 am Link

Model

Layla EMili Laney

Phoenix, Arizona, US

HAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!
sweet face u CRACK ME UP!
ya- same question- why some people post their avatar pics and think theyre all pro. nice

Photographer

Imajin Studios

Fifi-Alexis wrote:

ditto

Model

SWEETFACELA

Imajin Studios wrote:

look at it in a positive way, atleast they have a dream which makes me believe they hope for something to happen, cause nothing like not having a dream

There are women on this very site who aren't 5'9 who have done runway, worked with amazing photographers and have done commercial/print work. People who aren't in the know don't know they are in different categories. They just know they want that so they try.

May 31 07 03:16 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

SWEETFACELA wrote:
There are women on this very site who aren't 5'9 who have done runway, worked with amazing photographers and have done commercial/print work. People who aren't in the know don't know they are in different categories. They just know they want that so they try.

https://www.42ndstmoon.org/MEDIA/pipedream.jpg

May 31 07 03:21 am Link

Model

SWEETFACELA

UdoR wrote:

https://www.42ndstmoon.org/MEDIA/pipedream.jpg

Of course! It's not going to stop people from having em! It's the same thing in acting, medicine, designers...ALWAYS someone with a dream  who probably don't have a chance. It happens!

May 31 07 03:22 am Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

SWEETFACELA wrote:

Ok, but, you don't have to be a certain height for low profile fashion shows, working with amazing photographers also doesn't have a height requirement, and you don't have to be 5'9 for commercial/print work... so that argument doesn't really have anything to do with the topic.

Also, not knowing is their own fault. Why would you go into a career field and not educate yourself? To me, that shows you aren't really serious about it.

May 31 07 03:27 am Link

Model

Jami Lea

All I am saying is whatever anyone tells me I can't do, I will prove you wrong.  I work for God and noone else.  I will work my ass of and I will reach my dream.  Thank you very much!!!

And the models or anyone trying to obtain a goal for that matter, if they have that mentality, they will GO F*N FAR!!!!

May 31 07 03:29 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

SWEETFACELA wrote:
Of course! It's not going to stop people from having em! It's the same thing in acting, medicine, designers...ALWAYS someone with a dream  who probably don't have a chance. It happens!

I HAVE A DREAM, THAT ONE DAY ALL PHOTOGRAPHERS WOULD STOP DOIN TFP so models can pay for services, i have  a Dream that TFP would be banished, i have a dream that CAMERA stores would not sell camera's to Guys who wanna be GWC, i have a dream that Model Mayhem should remain the same as it is as i do quite enjoy the mayhem, I have a dream (yawning) ok i'm going to sleep so i CAN DREAM ON

Model

SWEETFACELA

Fifi-Alexis wrote:
Ok, but, you don't have to be a certain height for low profile fashion shows, working with amazing photographers also doesn't have a height requirement, and you don't have to be 5'9 for commercial/print work... so that argument doesn't really have anything to do with the topic.

Also, not knowing is their own fault. Why would you go into a career field and not educate yourself? To me, that shows you aren't really serious about it.

My point is this that the person who is fresh and knows nothing sees those girls and run thinking they are all high fashion. There are people who think i'm a plus model, People who think that i'm some sort of a runway model and I have to continue to let them know whats up with that.

The models they see could be commercial print or talent...stock things for beauty. They don't look or research, they run head first...ALOT of times they run head first.

Model

Jami Lea

Imajin Studios wrote:

I HAVE A DREAM, THAT ONE DAY ALL PHOTOGRAPHERS WOULD STOP DOIN TFP so models can pay for services, i have  a Dream that TFP would be banished, i have a dream that CAMERA stores would not sell camera's to Guys who wanna be GWC, i have a dream that Model Mayhem should remain the same as it is as i do quite enjoy the mayhem, I have a dream (yawning) ok i'm going to sleep so i CAN DREAM ON

No.  Don't go to sleep.  As sarcastic as that was, you presented a very valid point.  On a side note, don't you think LOADS of people told Martin Luther King that he couldn't accomplish his dream?

May 31 07 03:31 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

Jami Lea wrote:

No.  Don't go to sleep.  As sarcastic as that was, you presented a very valid point.  On a side note, don't you think LOADS of people told Martin Luther King that he couldn't accomplish his dream?

i think lots of people are still trying to KILL MLK's dream, may the man R.I.P

May 31 07 03:33 am Link

Model

SWEETFACELA

He can dream about all those things but will they ever come to pass? Nope there's always going to be a GWC, TFP or CD and undercutting.

You can wish but hey we all know whats up....

I'm going to curl up because some of us have to drive far big_smile Vegas here I come.....AGAIN........

May 31 07 03:33 am Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Jami Lea wrote:

Are you serioulsy comparing MLK to a short model wanting to do High Fashion?

Are you freaking kidding me?

May 31 07 03:35 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

SWEETFACELA wrote:
He can dream about all those things but will they ever come to pass? Nope there's always going to be a GWC, TFP or CD and undercutting.

You can wish but hey we all know whats up....

I'm going to curl up because some of us have to drive far big_smile Vegas here I come.....AGAIN........

it was my pleasure picking your brains out, have a very goodnite sleep and a safe trip to Sin City

May 31 07 03:36 am Link

Model

Jami Lea

Imajin Studios wrote:

it was my pleasure picking your brains out, have a very goodnite sleep and a safe trip to Sin City

The girl in your avi, Kirsten Dunst a bit?  smile

May 31 07 03:38 am Link

Model

SWEETFACELA

Imajin Studios wrote:

Well if ya wanna know what's in the mind of a short person, ASK one! big_smile Chump! *nudges him and scoots on to bed.

Night Fifi and Jami and everyone else I forgot in here!!

May 31 07 03:38 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

Jami Lea wrote:

The girl in your avi, Kirsten Dunst a bit?  smile

she's a good friend and i'm try to help her out with HER DREAMS

May 31 07 03:39 am Link

Model

Jami Lea

SWEETFACELA wrote:

Well if ya wanna know what's in the mind of a short person, ASK one! big_smile Chump! *nudges him and scoots on to bed.

Night Fifi and Jami and everyone else I forgot in here!!

You are gorgeous!  Rock on woman!

May 31 07 03:40 am Link