Forums > Model Colloquy > Why do short models insist of doin Runway?

Model

Jami Lea

Los Angeles, California, US

Imajin Studios wrote:

she's a good friend and i'm try to help her out with HER DREAMS

See?  That's what life is truly about, helping and giving back smile  Good for you!

May 31 07 03:40 am Link

Model

Jami Lea

1!

May 31 07 03:41 am Link

Model

MichelleS

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I'm 5'4 and have done 2 (soon to be 3) local runway shows.  I know I'll never do shows for the well known nation wide designers and I am completely okay with that.  But I enjoy doing the shows that I am asked to do.  I'm in it for the fun (and the free clothes of course) smile

May 31 07 03:41 am Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

MichelleS wrote:
I'm 5'4 and have done 2 (soon to be 3) local runway shows.  I know I'll never do shows for the well known nation wide designers and I am completely okay with that.  But I enjoy doing the shows that I am asked to do.  I'm in it for the fun (and the free clothes of course) smile

now thats some perks right there, free clothes thats what i'm talking about

May 31 07 03:43 am Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

I am officially declaring a new law: Kate's Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate%27s_Law

May 31 07 03:50 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

1. I love the internet!

2. Udor is tigh ton the money..

My hard drives are defragging so I have plenty of time to muck around.

I am currently the producer for a new show being made for MTV. One of the things we do is cover red carpet events and all types of local events across the country. Now as a producer who happens to be a photgrapher I am always amused when we end up at an event involving a local designer putting on a fashion show.

These designers usually use friends as models and have little or no budget. So the models tend to be local gals who dabble in modeling. It's a far ry from a NY fashion show with top designers. WHY? MONEY...The local up and coming designers can't afford to pay top models and usually the clothing they design is made to sell now in their local markets. So, they don't invest in making designs for "the runway"

I know this because I've just done a ton of interviews.

As UDOR said, if and once these designers make the leap to the big show, they know the use of "non standard" models is out the window.

As to the models who do these little shows in "smaller markets".

May 31 07 03:53 am Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

Jami Lea wrote:
All I am saying is whatever anyone tells me I can't do, I will prove you wrong.  I work for God and noone else.  I will work my ass of and I will reach my dream.  Thank you very much!!!

And the models or anyone trying to obtain a goal for that matter, if they have that mentality, they will GO F*N FAR!!!!

Jami. I love you but I'm sorry to inform you that you'll never be a professional sumo wrestler. Now matter how hard you work your ass to reach that dream.

May 31 07 03:56 am Link

Photographer

Jim Jurica

Schaumburg, Illinois, US

Ummm.....errr.. ummm..... can I just go on the record again as saying that despite *professional* leanings.... short girls are HOT!?!

May 31 07 03:56 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Jim Jurica wrote:
Ummm.....errr.. ummm..... can I just go on the record again as saying that despite *professional* leanings.... short girls are HOT!?!

True Dat....

I never had a girlfreind over 5'6''

YUM!

May 31 07 03:58 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Jami Lea wrote:
All I am saying is whatever anyone tells me I can't do, I will prove you wrong.  I work for God and noone else.  I will work my ass of and I will reach my dream.  Thank you very much!!!

And the models or anyone trying to obtain a goal for that matter, if they have that mentality, they will GO F*N FAR!!!!

Thats fine and dandy..

REALITY Check..sorry..

At 21..if you were going to be one of those exceptions..it would have happened already.
This is a time based industry...when did Kate Moss start? When did tose other exceptions to the usual rules begin?

It sucks..but its reality..

Not that you cant have a career..or even a profitable one...But when you use the "exceptions' as a point in an argument, you need to look at all of the aspects of said exception in comparison to the realities of the business.

May 31 07 04:03 am Link

Model

Jami Lea

PYPI wrote:

Jami. I love you but I'm sorry to inform you that you'll never be a professional sumo wrestler. Now matter how hard you work your ass to reach that dream.

A diet high in rice says otherwise lol j/k!!  That wasn't my point though, but I'll give you points for being cute smile

May 31 07 04:03 am Link

Model

Jami Lea

Vance wrote:

Thats fine and dandy..

REALITY Check..sorry..

At 21..if you were going to be one of those exceptions..it would have happened already.
This is a time based industry...when did Kate Moss start? When did tose other exceptions to the usual rules begin?

Not that you cant have a career..or even a profitable one...But when you use the "exceptions' as a point in an argument, you need to look at all of the aspects of said exception in comparison to the realities of the business.

Oh, sorry to burst your bubble darling, but I'm the face of a national couture campaign lauching in LA, NY and London this Fall.  What were you saying again?

May 31 07 04:04 am Link

Model

Jami Lea

Vance wrote:

Thats fine and dandy..

REALITY Check..sorry..

Oh, and I'm 5'9" dear.  5'9 1/2" after I do yoga smile

May 31 07 04:05 am Link

Model

Jami Lea

Vance wrote:

Thats fine and dandy..

REALITY Check..sorry..

There is more to my career than you know.  When you see me on billboards for Dr. Boogie from www.boogiesecrets.com and Mike Sam from www.karleeartist.com 's billboards for his major couture campaign launching this Fall, I expect a carefully written apology.  I have nothing to prove to you.  The exposure will say it all.  Thank you!

May 31 07 04:07 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Jami Lea wrote:

There is more to my career than you know.  When you see me on billboards for Dr. Boogie from www.boogiesecrets.com and Mike Sam from www.karleeartist.com 's billboards for his major couture campaign launching this Fall, I expect a carefully written apology.  I have nothing to prove to you.  The exposure will say it all.  Thank you!

When you reach Kate Moss status I will gladly do so. When your sle income comes from main streat modeling I will do so.

Until then, I will say congrats on being able to grab a few gigs. Fantastic work. best wishes.

My FULL time job is production I do nothing else..I think nothing else...I am no G.Lucas or S. Spielberg. Guys who started at 16 doing little films and I would never use them as an argument towards my road to success.

I have two TV's deal in the works and an MTV show....WHOOOPIE..! I know the realities of each and I am old enough to keep it real.

Much Love..

May 31 07 04:11 am Link

Model

Jami Lea

Vance wrote:

When you reach Kate Moss status I will gladly do so. When your sle income comes from main streat modeling I will do so.

Until then, I will say congrats on being able to grab a few gigs. Fantastic work. best wishes.

My FULL time job is production I do nothing else..I think nothing else...I am no G.Lucas or S. Spielberg. Guys who started at 16 doing little films and I would never use them as an argument towards my road to success.

I have two TV's deal in the works and an MTV show....WHOOOPIE..! I know the realities of each and I am old enough to keep it real.

Much Love..

I am also old enough to keep it real, but I am not going to tell someone that they can't reach their dreams smile

May 31 07 04:15 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Jami Lea wrote:

Jamie;

I stayed away from commenting your posts... but I just can't hold back anymore.

I think you are making a huge mistake with encouraging physically "challenged" models to follow a high fashion runway career and using your own obstacles you had to overcome as proof that it can be done.

I fully accept what you are saying IF you show me that, at age 18 you were 5'3" and 165lbs (I accept similar values).

Then you started to have that dream of being a model... and you did everything you could... you grew half a foot, lost 60lbs and you were driven by your dream that this actually changed your body.

If you had other, environmental obstacles or dealing with depression etc., and people told you you'll never model... those can be overcome...

Face it... you ARE perfectly designed for high fashion PERIOD.

Let's educate those young hopefuls, make them wake up from lies being told by Tyra, Barbie-Zone and photographers who shoot them for lots of money and making them promises of a grand future who get laid in the meantime as well... from those shorties with Haute Couture dreams.

There is nothing wrong to wake people up from a mental coma and help them to realize their REAL potential turn their real desire into a vision and help them to become very best they can be.

May 31 07 04:15 am Link

Model

Jami Lea

Really, I think it's none of my business to tell anyone how to accomplish their dreams.  I'm still learning myself.  I was just trying to offer some inspiration.  Sorry to jump the gun!  Sorry for offending anyone.  I'll sit back and observe for a while.  There is obviously something I can learn by keeping my mouth shut.  Thanks for the constructive criticism.

May 31 07 04:23 am Link

Model

I model n dance

New York, New York, US

I for one will vouch for this one!

I am 5'4" and have done PLENTY of runway. My problem with designers and models is that, there are WAY TOO MANY "slim"or "thin"models or models that weight 100-115lbs while designer are making clothing for all these stick figures that can't even wear the clothing right because they have no OUNCE body definition.

Another example, you don't have to be 5'9" to do runway, meanwhile Mo'nique(all my black people know who i'm talkin about!!) Has ALL BIG WOMEN from. the united states becoming models and doing RUNWAY*

So before you decide to point the finger at US SHORT MODELS, you NEED TO LOOK AROUND ALL ELEMENTS OF A MODEL INVOLVED WITH RUNWAY!!!!

AND I WILL CONTINUE DOING RUNWAY AS A SHORT MODELS! :-)

AHHA!!

May 31 07 04:30 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Jami Lea wrote:
Really, I think it's none of my business to tell anyone how to accomplish their dreams.  I'm still learning myself.  I was just trying to offer some inspiration.  Sorry to jump the gun!  Sorry for offending anyone.  I'll sit back and observe for a while.  There is obviously something I can learn by keeping my mouth shut.  Thanks for the constructive criticism.

What you fail to understand is that there is nothing wrong with dreams. The problem is that many dreams are just that DREAMS.

Heart and desire can make a baseball player good enough to become an exception in some cases. Even a football player... insert sport here...But even there those exceptions are few and far in between.

In the world of fashion and photography the exceptions are even FEWER..notice how the dame 5 names always pop up? That should be clue number one. It's not like there is a lack of those trying to BE THE NEXT exception. There are TONS.

And there are plenty of tem who are missng out on making money in markets they would be better suited for because they are too narrow minded, and are being fed a bunch of BS.

The lifespan of a model is short..it typically starts rather early.. So all of these short 25 yr olds are fighting an uphill battle on a short plank.

Giving them sound advise is not crushing their dreams. Let's face it..for every one that makes it there are thousands who end up pregnant married and pissed off about miss opportunity. But they are happy with hubby and the white picket fence as they suck down their afternoon martini. smile

I've seen your work and actually love your look. I have also seen you go from VERY DETERMINED to "I'm not sure"..in a few threads. So, I will take tonights.I CANT BE STOPPED ATTITUDE with a grain of salt.

I've seen many come and go, and I am hardly at the top of the food chain. So when I say "keep it real"..I am talking more to my mind set, not TO YOU.

I appreciate your youth and go after it attitude. Now wrap that up with some experience and knowledge and you just might break through.

Heart and guts is not enough in this business.

Attitude and awareness are keys to potential success.

:-)

May 31 07 04:36 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

I model n dance wrote:

I am 5'4" and have done PLENTY of runway. My problem with designers and models is that, there are WAY TOO MANY "slim"or "thin"models or models that weight 100-115lbs while designer are making clothing for all these stick figures that can't even wear the clothing right because they have no OUNCE body definition.

Another example, you don't have to be 5'9" to do runway, meanwhile Mo'nique(all my black people know who i'm talkin about!!) Has ALL BIG WOMEN from. the united states becoming models and doing RUNWAY*

So before you decide to point the finger at US SHORT MODELS, you NEED TO LOOK AROUND ALL ELEMENTS OF A MODEL INVOLVED WITH RUNWAY!!!!

AHHA!!

What's your day job?

May 31 07 04:37 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Vance wrote:
What's your day job?

Pssspt. You know, one with bouncers, ahem, doormen.

(( yes I'm snarky tonight ))

bt

May 31 07 04:42 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I model n dance wrote:

AHHA!!

Now... I looked at your credits... and it's all Urban market... shows in clubs with some dubious promoters I know as well and for no pay with most of them being a meat market for guys.

Do you want to know if I know about that segment of the market?

You've modeled for the designer Anthony Eastwick (who is also a good friend of mine!)... simply ask him about me and if I know what I am talking about!

You may also want to get the definition for "Haute Couture" and "Ready to Wear"...

May 31 07 04:44 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Vance wrote:
What's your day job?

Bruce Talbot wrote:

bt

Bad dog... bt... bad dog... big_smile

May 31 07 04:45 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

UdoR wrote:

Now... I looked at your credits... and it's all Urban market... shows in clubs with some dubious promoters I know as well and for no pay with most of them being a meat market for guys.

Do you want to know if I know about that segment of the market?

You've modeled for the designer Anthony Eastwick... simply ask him about me and if I know what I am talking about!

You may also want to get the definition for "Haute Couture" and "Ready to Wear"...

Dayum....

You messed up my next post....
arrrrrrrrrg!

May 31 07 04:46 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Vance wrote:
Dayum....

You messed up my next post....
arrrrrrrrrg!

Sowwyy... neutral

wink

May 31 07 04:49 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Bruce Talbot wrote:

bt

das rump shaka's?

Nooooo! Do tell!

May 31 07 04:50 am Link

Photographer

Jim Jurica

Schaumburg, Illinois, US

I guess I've been trying to make a silly-stupid point with my "short girls are hot comments' but...

ModelMayhem tends to be be very fashion/glamour oriented.  Fashion & glamour are, of course, a teeny-tiny little chunk of the commercial photography & modeling world.  Runway isn't the be-all, end-all of life and honestly it can be quite boring to look at.  There's lots of room for all sorts of folks in this biz.  Have the courage to pick a spot and stand your ground.  smile

May 31 07 04:52 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

UdoR wrote:
Bad dog... bt... bad dog... big_smile

woof woof woof

bt

((( hey ........... if the superdood gig ever gets lame, I could moonlight as Underdawgiedawg !! )))

May 31 07 04:52 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Vance wrote:
das rump shaka's?

Nooooo! Do tell!

shaka's and clappa's my man, shaka's and clappa's !

woof

May 31 07 04:54 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Jim Jurica wrote:
I guess I've been trying to make a silly-stupid point with my "short girls are hot comments' but...

ModelMayhem tends to be be very fashion/glamour oriented.  Fashion & glamour are, of course, a teeny-tiny little chunk of the commercial photography & modeling world.  Runway isn't the be-all, end-all of life and honestly it can be quite boring to look at.  There's lots of room for all sorts of folks in this biz.  Have the courage to pick a spot and stand your ground.  smile

You are from Schaumburg, Illinois? I am from Flossmoor, Illinois... I know for a fact..there AINT squat out there! That's why I am in LA.

Sure there are plenty of markets. thats the point here... Market yourself in the right market. And realize, not ALL markets mean you can quit your day job.

Some modeling markets are good for some extra cash. Just because you are in one of those markets dosent mean you are on your way to Kate Moss status.

werd up...

May 31 07 04:57 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Bruce Talbot wrote:

shaka's and clappa's my man, shaka's and clappa's !

woof

Clappa's? I saw that video too!

YUM!

May 31 07 04:57 am Link

Model

Jami Lea

Vance wrote:

Clappa's? I saw that video too!

YUM!

Wow, small world.  I was born on Great Lakes naval base in IL.  I've lived in Canton, Sparland, Varna, Peoria, Lacon, Chicago hmm lets see where else lol

I miss the mid-west.  People are genuine smile

May 31 07 05:08 am Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

I model n dance wrote:

AHHA!!

Safe to say that when most girls dream of doing runway, they are dreaming of walking in Bryant Park for Michael Kors or Zac Posen. I don't think their dreams of runway involve walking for a local designer at a nightclub with half drunk patrons yelling for the models to show more booty.

May 31 07 05:11 am Link

Model

Jami Lea

PAPI!!!!! wink

May 31 07 05:14 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Jami Lea wrote:

Wow, small world.  I was born on Great Lakes naval base in IL.  I've lived in Canton, Sparland, Varna, Peoria, Lacon, Chicago hmm lets see where else lol

I miss the mid-west.  People are genuine smile

Peoria! BORING...Well the hay rides were cool...I had a girlfreind from there back in the day.. She was damned sexy!

True.The midwest vibe is a vibe I miss greatly...

Sigh...

May 31 07 05:15 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SWEETFACE SHOTS wrote:

I'm not even irritated! I just find it SO amazing that someone is worrying about someone that doesn't affect them in their line of work smile

Yes you are.

Your axe to grind is dull.

May 31 07 05:30 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

PYPI wrote:

Safe to say that when most girls dream of doing runway, they are dreaming of walking in Bryant Park for Michael Kors or Zac Posen. I don't think their dreams of runway involve walking for a local designer at a nightclub with half drunk patrons yelling for the models to show more booty.

Word.  All these models proclaiming to do runway ALL THE TIME are like guys that play YMCA league ball saying that they are pro ball players.

It's not the same.

May 31 07 05:32 am Link

Model

Jami Lea

Vance wrote:
Peoria! BORING...Well the hay rides were cool...I had a girlfreind from there back in the day.. She was damned sexy!

True.The midwest vibe is a vibe I miss greatly...

Sigh...

I second your boring.  I miss the crickets though.  I miss the wood walking and fishing on the lake with my dad too.  It's way better than the helicopters and birds chirping at 2am.  Did you know in LA, that is the only time quiet enough for them to do their mating calls? LOL!  I read that somewhere once

May 31 07 05:33 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Jami Lea wrote:

I second your boring.  I miss the crickets though.  I miss the wood walking and fishing on the lake with my dad too.  It's way better than the helicopters and birds chirping at 2am.  Did you know in LA, that is the only time quiet enough for them to do their mating calls? LOL!  I read that somewhere once

thats why I live in Culver City....WE CAN HEAR THE CRICKETS...:-)

Not like in the mornings in Flossmoor though...werd!

May 31 07 05:39 am Link