Model

Mmmmmmmmmm

Los Angeles, California, US

solution: japanese food big_smile

Nov 22 08 09:38 am Link

Model

JenniferMarieL

Corvallis, Montana, US

Some models really are WAY too thin. But that's definitely not the norm. And yes, eating disorders can be blamed on many, many things, fashion INCLUDED. INCLUDED, not the source, for people who can't read.

Nov 22 08 09:45 pm Link

Casting Director

sammycasting

Beverly Hills, California, US

I'm casting a show about this...check it out on my page and postings!

May 06 10 02:28 pm Link

Model

Aswald

Detroit, Michigan, US

sammycasting wrote:
I'm casting a show about this...check it out on my page and postings!

FAIL.

Why the hell would you bump this old thing?

May 06 10 02:36 pm Link

Model

x Ali

West Hollywood, California, US

May 06 10 02:39 pm Link

Model

Anna Dz

London, England, United Kingdom

GWC wrote:
u can't "cure" anorexics by talking to them and u can't prevent it by removing thin people from a sufferer's view - but fluoxetine and quetiapine an stuff like that work. people dont want to take antipsychotics because it sounds oooh oooh so bad - but f*cking anorexia is just another (fairly easily treatable!) neuroligical problem.

You must have read this in a sensational news feature.
Sorry, it's not so easy. Drugs won't cure any psychological disorder, they will just reduce symptoms as long as you take them, and keep you alive. They won't treat anorexia. Antypsychotics are sedators, they work on 'ill' and healthy alike, because there's no known biological disease to treat.
If psychological illnesses were easily treatable by drugs there wouldn't be any in today's world.
Sometimes people treat diagnosis as an excuse to face reality. 'My husband is not an alcoholic, he has substance abuse disorder'.
People with eating disorders need lots of stamina, effort and cooperation to recover, not just swallow pills.

May 06 10 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Han Koehle

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I love skinny girls. Don't get me wrong. Exposed ribs get my artistic motor running.

But seriously? Who wants to shoot any adult weighing 66lbs? I can't imagine any aesthetic value in someone so disgustingly emaciated. I mean, maybe if she's 4'2"...

May 06 10 05:01 pm Link

Model

JANEDOE11

Taro Island, Choiseul, Solomon Islands

I don't understand why the fashion industry accepts girls like this. Slim? Sure. Emaciated and half dead? What the fuck, not attractive.

I really agree with Brazil's movement to not feature runway models with BMIs under 18. I wish the rest of the world would follow suit. I'm not blaming the whole industry, but it can definitely help urge girls towards crash diets and even eating disorders.

May 06 10 06:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

T

Washington, District of Columbia, US

A thread from 2007?  lol

May 06 10 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

bump a 2007 thread to spam complete fail

May 06 10 06:11 pm Link

Model

Dahlia Dukke

Winter Park, Florida, US

I know this is an old thread but this topic made me cry. Ive been struggling with an eating disorder for the past year, for a good 4 months I was eating less than 500 calories a day and swimming a mile three times a week. I ended up losing 40 lbs in three months and I have a very very slow metabolism. I know the only reason I am not as skinny as the 'sick' part of me wants to be is because I live with my mom and grandma and they raise questions if I miss a meal or they notice I'm not eating a lot. If I could, I'd be 110.

It sucks and it's absolutely a life destroyer. I spend so much time crying, hating myself and looking for any way to get thinner, drugs, starving, anything. It wasn't fashion or modeling that did it, it was a family trauma.

I think people who have EDs are bron with a trigger of sorts, it just takes a certain spark to make it activate.

May 06 10 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Marissah Leigh  wrote:
I don't understand why the fashion industry accepts girls like this. Slim? Sure. Emaciated and half dead? What the fuck, not attractive.

+1

May 06 10 11:38 pm Link

Model

Ivy Jo

Amarillo, Texas, US

RachelRavage wrote:
I searched google for photos and got these
https://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/09/14/skinny_lead_narrowweb__300x449,0.jpg
https://www.trendhunter.com/images/phpthumbnails/4413_4_230.jpeg

This first is just the angle, anyone looks thinner shot from the side. Here's a slightly different angle. Notice how far her thumb pushes into her hip. She just carriers her weight on her lower body instead of her upper.
https://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/09/13/skinny_narrowweb__300x454,0.jpg
The second is fake, I'll find the original for you if its not already up.

*edit* Ah ha. From page 3 of this thread:
https://www.ranum.com/linkedimages/realmodel01.jpg

Now lets be done with threads from back in the day, huh?

May 07 10 01:15 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Marissah Leigh  wrote:

I really agree with Brazil's movement to not feature runway models with BMIs under 18. I wish the rest of the world would follow suit. I'm not blaming the whole industry, but it can definitely help urge girls towards crash diets and even eating disorders.

I have under an 18 BMI and I am perfectly freaking healthy.

Go look at my pictures, do I look emaciated?

I hate this BS.

May 07 10 09:26 am Link

Model

Z A N Z A N

York Harbour, Guam, US

Edit: Ivy already said it...
+1

Ivy Bressler wrote:

This first is just the angle, anyone looks thinner shot from the side. Here's a slightly different angle. Notice how far her thumb pushes into her hip. She just carriers her weight on her lower body instead of her upper.
https://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/09/13/skinny_narrowweb__300x454,0.jpg
The second is fake, I'll find the original for you if its not already up.

*edit* Ah ha. From page 3 of this thread:
https://www.ranum.com/linkedimages/realmodel01.jpg

Now lets be done with threads from back in the day, huh?

May 07 10 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Lauren A Farrington

Sunderland, Massachusetts, US

K E E L I N G wrote:
Listen, girls get Eating Disorders for a number of reasons.  It might be because of a Chemical Imbalance.  It might be because of the girl in her History Class who's thinner than her and going out with the guy she wants.  It might be because she wants thinks models are glamorous and wants to be like them.  Eliminating the Fashion World wouldn't eliminate the problem.  But to think that the Fashion World isn't a huge contributor to Eating Disorders Nationwide is just plain Naive!  Do I think that Nick Zantop can change the world if he has an epiphany?  No.  He's just playing by the rules given him.  But don't come in a Forum discussion and say the problem isn't real, or huge, because it is.

Yeah...we can blame plenty of things on chemical imbalances, but I'm pretty sure eating disorders is not one of them.

Anyway, I think you need to look at the bigger picture. Fashion photos and models are really not the sole source of this "thin-is-in" message. It's in movies, TV, on the internet, etc. There are too many social aspects that contribute to a girl's body image to say that fashion models are the sole cause.

Envy and idolization are certainly not the only factors that contribute to eating disorders. Many people only see girls with anorexia or bulimia as trying to be thin, but that may not always be the case. These disorders have been linked to control and impulse issues, as has substance abuse.

It's pretty obvious that media has a great impact on girls and how they view themselves-hence why we have children putting on make-up before they even hit puberty-so yes, the fashion industry does influence girls and their eating/weight-loss habits. But it does not cause them to starve themselves or whathaveyou.

May 07 10 09:48 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Lauren A Farrington wrote:

Envy and idolization are certainly not the only factors that contribute to eating disorders. Many people only see girls with anorexia or bulimia as trying to be thin, but that may not always be the case. These disorders have been linked to control and impulse issues, as has substance abuse.

Thank you.

May 07 10 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Lauren A Farrington

Sunderland, Massachusetts, US

K I C K H A M wrote:

Thank you.

You're very welcome. smile
I get aggravated when people are so one dimensional; it's not always just about weight and more people need to realize this.

May 07 10 09:51 am Link

Model

Z A N Z A N

York Harbour, Guam, US

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Screw that! Have a fitness requirement. Make 'em run 3 miles in 20 minutes, do 20 push-ups, and 50 sit-ups.

I like my models skinny, lanky, and tight - so I'd be perfectly happy to see a bit of muscle on 'em. smile

Dear god I'd fail that test miserably. I'm the laziest person I know.There goes my career wink lol

May 07 10 09:52 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Screw that! Have a fitness requirement. Make 'em run 3 miles in 20 minutes, do 20 push-ups, and 50 sit-ups.

I like my models skinny, lanky, and tight - so I'd be perfectly happy to see a bit of muscle on 'em. smile

Alexandra Evelyn wrote:
Dear god I'd fail that test miserably. I'm the laziest person I know.There goes my career wink lol

Aside from 3 miles in 20 minutes (which a lot of high school runners have trouble with, even) I think a basic fitness test would be much more helpful and telling than BMI.

May 07 10 09:54 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Lauren A Farrington wrote:

You're very welcome. smile
I get aggravated when people are so one dimensional; it's not always just about weight and more people need to realize this.

Yeah, especially when you've seen people go through it. Yeah, weight is a factor, but usually there is much more beneath the surface, and it's highly depressing.

May 07 10 09:54 am Link

Model

Ivy Jo

Amarillo, Texas, US

K I C K H A M wrote:

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

Aside from 3 miles in 20 minutes (which a lot of high school runners have trouble with, even) I think a basic fitness test would be much more helpful and telling than BMI.

Just make them bench at least half their body weight.

May 07 10 09:56 am Link

Model

Z A N Z A N

York Harbour, Guam, US

AngelicaAswald wrote:

FAIL.

Why the hell would you bump this old thing?

Bahahah I can't believe I didn't realize this was so old. I need to go back to sleep

May 07 10 10:01 am Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

I'm purging myself! Purging myself of this thread!

May 08 10 12:24 am Link

Model

Dido_Wend

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

I used to live with a former international fashion model, and she told me a lot about this issue. According to her experience, almost every model was living on a constant diet, and a good bunch of them had every sympton of an ED.
Problem is industry standard measurements are unrealistic for most adult women. They usually start modeling at a very young age, sometimes as young as 14, when their bodies aren't fully developed and are still lanky teenagers. When some years pass, their bodies naturally change and get more womanly- but this is not acceptable by industry standards, so they have to fight it with extreme dieting.
Naturally thin exists, but naturally 5'9+ and 105 pounds or less (which is the case of most runway models) is almost impossible.

May 08 10 03:49 am Link

Photographer

Ame Davis

Douglasville, Georgia, US

Though it's mostly shown with models, anyone can have an eating disorder. It's a terrible thing that affects everyone that loves and cares about you. My room mate was so consumed with his body image that he was virtually killing himself to be thin. While I do enjoy using my thin models, it always needs to be natural. And most of all, they need to be healthy.

May 09 10 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

May 10 10 10:30 am Link

Model

Stacey L Leigh

Cookeville, Tennessee, US

RachelRavage wrote:

This makes me cringe.  It's repulsive to look at and the fashion designers that hire these models should be ashamed of themselves.

May 12 10 04:18 pm Link

Model

Stacey L Leigh

hahaha!! Sorry! I just realized this was a REALLY old topic!

May 12 10 04:22 pm Link

Retoucher

Dillo Design

New York, New York, US

RachelRavage wrote:

These are photoshopped to be skeletal.

Quality Retouch
No one is perfect... that's why pencils have erasers.  ~Author Unknown
https://modelmayhm-3.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/100415/12/4bc7694bab890_m.jpg

May 12 10 04:23 pm Link

Model

Stacey L Leigh

You are correct.  I just saw the real images before someone photshopped them and although they are still very skinny, they don't look THAT awful.

May 12 10 04:30 pm Link